"Run as..." Error for HP All-in-One

Old April 24th 07, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Shattered Haze

Default "Run as..." Error for HP All-in-One

I just bought a new Acer desktop that came with the Windows Vista OS. I have
had a few problems installing my old programs on this system, but, for the
most part, I have managed to work my way around these issues with the help of
updates, drivers, and patches. However, I am having a problem with
installing my HP Deskjet F335 All-in-One.

When I first tried to install the software, it came up with an error stating
that I had to download the appropriate drivers from HP's website, which I
did, and this is no longer the issue. The new problem occurs when I try to
install the program and an error reading the following appears:

"Requirement: Run as

This software cannot be installed using the 'Run as...' command. the
installation cannot continue until this is resolved.

Required Action: Click Cancel to exit this software installation. Log off
and then log on as a user with administrator privileges. If there is no
system administrator, have the primary user of this computer install the
software. Restart the installation by removing and re-inserting this
installation CD."

I understand I must be on an account with administrator privileges, and that
is the problem: this error is displayed on my administrator account. I even
created a new account with administrative properties and attempted to install
the software, and the same error display came into view.

Please, help me resolve this problem.
Old April 24th 07, 08:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mary

You should check with HP support on this. Many problems with
printers/scanners & vista. You might not be able to install software at all.
Just the drivers need to be installed for limited functionality. When you try
to install this, right click on the setup file and choose Run as
Administrator. You might be doing this already but I can't tell from your
post. This should allow the installation.

Old April 24th 07, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Shattered Haze

Unfortunately, running Setup.exe as administrator did not work, although, I
appreciate the tip. I will just have to look at HP's website and see if they
have any solutions. If not, I guess I'm on the market for a new printer.

Once again, thank you.

Old April 25th 07, 02:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White, MVP

Hi, Haze.

When I first got Windows 2000 over 7 years ago, I hounded the computer
stores until they finally got an All-In-One that claimed it was compatible
with Win2K. I bought and returned a Xerox model, then got an HP OfficeJet
G55. The printer worked immediately for "mundane" jobs, but I had to wait
TWO YEARS for HP to produce the "full-featured" drivers so that the machine
would do what HP had promised. :(

When I did try to install the HP software, I ran into about as many hassles
as you are seeing. I lost count of the number of times I uninstalled
everything, even using the special removal CD that HP sent me, and
reinstalled it. Finally, I just abandoned all that fluff and went with what
was built into Win2K - and WinXP, by the time the HP stuff arrived. I've
not even tried to install the HP software in about 5 years. I've never
missed it at all!

I'm still using that printer and it still does all that I need it to do in
both WinXP and Vista with NO HP software at all. Drivers for it are on the
Vista DVD-ROM and were installed automatically by Vista Setup. It doesn't
have a fax (I've never had a fax.), but the printer, scanner and copier all
work with no problems.

What important function does the HP software package offer you? Unless you
specifically need something in there that you can't do with Vista or Office
or other available software, my recommendation is to just let Vista install
its built-in drivers and forget the HP fluff.

If you do want to try again, right-click on Command Prompt and click Run as
Administrator. Once the Administrator:Command Prompt window is open, you
can run "elevated" (that means to run at an elevated privilege level) almost
any software from there. In other words, if you start HP's Setup.exe (or
whatever their install program is called), it just might run. If you try
this, please post back and let us know so that we can help the next person
who posts a similar problem.

Or go to this web page and see if the HP preferred download will work if you
click Install now:
HP Full Feature Software and Drivers
HP Deskjet F335 All-in-One
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...128297&lang=en

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)