Old October 26th 07, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke

Default Green Screen crash

jremmc wrote:
oh, I did that before I posted. HP will do usual; simply reformat and
reinstall OS, test and then return to me. Even tech I spoke with said that,
and also said there's no guarantee they will find or fix issue since it
happens randomly and it might not happen when at HP. I have to go thru that
process and get laptop back and have it happen again, and return for new
memory, and then/or new motherboard, before HP will replace entirely.

What I would like to know is, has anyone here seen the green screen crash
and if so, what was cause?

"jremmc" wrote in message ...
New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got it
last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed as
I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting BSOD
I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text on
it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn off
/ turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista did
not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous shutdown
unexpected.

Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
already using anyway, I think).

Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone has
experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.

That's a very good description of hardware failure. It could be your
laptop is overheating in general, the video chip is bad, and/or the
monitor is bad. In any case, you should return this machine for
repair/replacement since it is new.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers