Old November 3rd 07, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_9_]

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Well here goes,

Since the last time I wrote I've had two more TS sessions with MS.
Here's how they went:

Prior to the previous TS session, Vivian escalated my ticket to an
Escalation Engineer named Emma. Emma had me perform a complete format
of the C:\ drive and then a Complete PC Restore without checking the
select box to "Repartition and Reformat to Match the Backup," suspecting
that "chkdsk" may have missed something. The system Blue Screed as
before when I inserted the SD Card; so during the last TS session, she
had me perform an "inplace-upgrade." This involves having Windows
reinstall the system files from the install disk. This is supposed to
leave your files and settings alone; but rewrites the Registry and
deletes all the Windows Updates. It also forced me to reactivate, which
I could not do online, since I have a wireless Internet connection
through T-Mobile, which could not be launched from the Activation
window. "God is this a buggy piece of @#$!%?" They're using me as an
Alpha Tester and have made me pay $189.00 plus the $59.00 support fee
for the privilege. They should be paying me as an SW Tester. I've got
half a mind to file charges with the Department of Labor Standards
Enforcement for unpaid wages! Then again, maybe I only have half a
mind, which is far more likely.

Oh, BTW I also got a nasty message in the lower right corner of the
Desktop that read: "This copy of Windows is not Genuine." This remained
even after re-activation. Fortunately this went away after a couple of
restarts.

Then I inserted the SD Card and held my breath. "Plug and Play"
started immediately and placed a balloon on my Desktop stating:
"Installing Software." This never happened before! Shortly thereafter,
that went away and P&P placed another balloon on my Desktop stating:

"Secure Digital_MMC_Drive.
Device Driver Software Installed Successfully."

This took at least a minute and nothing. No Blue Screen, no Dialog
Boxes stating that some critical Windows component, like "Windows
Explorer" had stopped working; so I opened the SD Card in "Computer" and
was able to store files in it. I was also able to successfully perform
Quick & Full Formats in FAT, FAT32 & NTFS and store files on the card in
each of these formats. By this time I'm wiping the sweat off of my brow
and daring to think that I've finally achieved success; but this was
short lived. During all of this I was still connected to the Internet
and one of my applications installed an update. I was persuaded to
restart, which I did, with the SD Card still inserted. When Windows
tried to launch the Desktop the system Blue Screened. I then removed
the SD Card and Cold Booted. I started Windows normally, then
reinserted the SD Card after Windows had completely loaded the Desktop.
A dialog Box popped up stating that my HD Soft Conn Modem had stopped
working; but I closed it and persevered. I was prompted to format the
SD card and when I clicked "OK" another Blue Screen.

Anyway, I got a little farther along this time. Apparently, when
Windows is first installed the Memory Card Reader Driver and Vista x64
are compatible; but this relationship doesn't last long. For some
reason this relationship deteriorates relatively quickly in human time;
however more slowly in processor time.

Emma says she thinks her manger will let her ship me a Retail Version
of Vista x64; but I'm not sure what this is supposed to accomplish. At
this point it appears MS is trying "Hail Mary" passes instead of trying
to fix the problem. At this point I don't care. I just want to use my
damn computer for something other than a paperweight.

-John

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.