Fax Fatal Error

Old April 30th 07, 06:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
GinaNew

Default Fax Fatal Error

I have have Vista Business and I keep getting a fatal error when I try to
fax. Any ideas how to fix this?
Old May 2nd 07, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Not without at least some information, including how you installed fax,
whether your fax account appears to be configured correctly, whether your
modem is on the VHCL, what steps you are using, and what happens exactly.
You must think we can read minds.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 9th 07, 04:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
brainlpb

Yeah, I just built a new computer and installed Vista 64-bit
Ultimate and was rather miffed that my SupraMax 56i modem was not
recognized by Vista so I was forced into spending some real money to buy
yet another stupid dialup modem, so I found the Hiro H50006 from Tiger
Direct for $7.99 since it was cheap, good chipset, and rave reviews from
AOL lusers. Vista auto detected the modem and installed the driver as an
Agere Systems PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem and Device Manager shows the modem
diagnostics is responding properly. However, when I print to Fax from MS
Word and try to send something out, it says Fatal Error in the Outbox
after attempting to dial out. My phone cord is plugged into the Line
port and dialtone is normal, ie no voicemails with beeping dialtone. My
caller id light indicates that the line is picked up and in use for
about 10 seconds then it hangs up. I even tried throwing some commas in
the front of the phone number to slow down the outbound dialing. I
cannot hear the dialing even though I went into Device Manager and
cranked the Modem volume to Full but I don't think this modem even has a
speaker. My other computer, a Dell laptop, has no problems sending out a
Fax using the same phone cord, it's using Vista 32-bit and a different
modem of course. Can you read my mind? I'm irked!!!

--
brainlpb

Old December 9th 07, 10:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Did you check the VHCL before you bought a modem?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 9th 07, 11:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
brainlpb[_2_]

Yeah, I don't even see modems on the hardware compatability list...

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

The modem I bought to replace my Supra 56i is the only PCI modem out
there I could even find that has support for 64-bit Vista.

--
brainlpb

Old December 9th 07, 11:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Look again:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...=v&cid=707&g=d

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 9th 07, 12:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
brainlpb[_3_]

So yeah it says it works, but not listed as Certified...

'Windows Quality Online Services: Windows Vista Hardware
Compatibility List' (http://tinyurl.com/2292t9)

--
brainlpb

Old December 9th 07, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I assume you notice that that's not the modem you bought, just the closest
drivers Vista could find for it. Your only recourse is if you bought a modem
on the VHCL.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 10th 07, 01:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
brainlpb[_4_]

this sounds more like a forum where people want to argue about
certifications rather than trying to figure out the problem, etc...

The box for the HIRO H50006 says Microsoft WHQL Certified, Full
Compatible with Windows 98SE, 2000 and Server, 2003 and Server, XP and
XP Professional x64 Edition.

So come on now, if Microsoft is going to just drop all support based on
that, then people need to know not to upgrade to Vista, this is
ridiculous. The OS should be backwards compatible with XP rated
equipment at least.

--
brainlpb

Old December 10th 07, 02:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Who is arguing? I'm just stating facts. You want fax to work, you purchase
the correct modem. Assuming that because a modem works in previous versions
that it will work in Vista 64 bit is naive. And everyone reading this group
knows not to "upgrade" to Vista if they want to fax.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]