Vista can't access XP printers

Old April 30th 07, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Walter Blanchard

Default Vista can't access XP printers

[cross posted to hardware.devices]

I have a friend with a home network. He has XP MCE 2005 on 2 machines and
Vista (Ultimate on one, Premium on another) on 2 machines.

Same workgroup
Vista can see and share folders on XP
XP can see and share folders on Vista
Simple sharing off on XP
Printer sharing Security allows full control to Everyone on XP
Printers are USB Canon on both XP machines.

Vista can see XP printers on both, but gets "access denied" message.

Any help will be appreciated.

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

Old April 30th 07, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Chuck

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:28:05 -0400, "Walter Blanchard"
wrote:

[cross posted to hardware.devices]

I have a friend with a home network. He has XP MCE 2005 on 2 machines and
Vista (Ultimate on one, Premium on another) on 2 machines.

Same workgroup
Vista can see and share folders on XP
XP can see and share folders on Vista
Simple sharing off on XP
Printer sharing Security allows full control to Everyone on XP
Printers are USB Canon on both XP machines.

Vista can see XP printers on both, but gets "access denied" message.

Any help will be appreciated.

Walter,

Generally, you're looking at a misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall, or
other security component. There are several other possibilities too, and any
might be the cause of your problem. Read this article with an open mind.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html

What account are you using for sharing, on the XP computers? Guest, maybe?
Check the restrictanonymous setting.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ur-server.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
Old May 1st 07, 12:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Walter Blanchard

Thanks, Chuck. I've forwarded your response to my friend and asked him to
reply.

--

______________________________

Old May 1st 07, 07:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Rich

I learned several things about networking Vista and XP PC's together but this
post did not solve my printer sharing problem. Another post in this forum
entered on 11 February 2007 did solve my problem.

Old May 2nd 07, 01:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Chuck

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback, Rich. Printer networking is an extremely complex
subject, and solutions needed vary by printer make and model, by operating
system, and by network connection. Kerry's procedure contains the practical
instructions needed.

Old May 2nd 07, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Chuck

On Tue, 1 May 2007 08:11:21 -0400, "Walter Blanchard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Walter. I'll look forward to his reply (preferably in this thread).

Old May 2nd 07, 12:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Walter Blanchard

Rich,

Glad you got your problem solved. Can you share a more specific reference,
or a quote?

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

news

Old May 2nd 07, 12:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Walter Blanchard

You're welcome, Chuck. I'm afraid he has given up. Rich mentions a post
that solved his problem, but doesn't make a reference. You mention "Kerry's
procedure" in a reply to him. I've done a search, but can't find it. Can
you provide either a reference or the "procedure?"
--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

clip

Old May 2nd 07, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Walter Blanchard

I found it.

--

______________________________

"Walter Blanchard" wrote in message ...
Rich,

Glad you got your problem solved. Can you share a more specific reference,
or a quote?

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

news

Old May 2nd 07, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Walter Blanchard

I found it.

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

"Walter Blanchard" wrote in message ...
You're welcome, Chuck. I'm afraid he has given up. Rich mentions a post
that solved his problem, but doesn't make a reference. You mention "Kerry's
procedure" in a reply to him. I've done a search, but can't find it. Can
you provide either a reference or the "procedure?"
--

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com

clip