Old November 6th 07, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_11_]

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

I'll post the core file info shortly,

I'm away from my Laptop right now. By digital certificate, I assume
you mean for the driver set? These appear to be correctly signed. I
received no warning message when installing and I've checked Device
Manager and the driver manufacturer "ENE Technologies" is displayed.

Yesterday, I read the tutorial section regarding System Files, which
covered some of the TS steps I've been performing with MS at the
following link:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

It states the following if an "inplace-upgrade" fails to resolve the
your issue:

"NOTE: If Vista is still not working properly afterwards, then a Clean
Install would be recommended."

Since I already had my configuration backed up on an external HDD, I
decided to give this a try and not only did the issue persist, but I got
a BSOD when Windows tried to load for the first time and had to restart
the install from the beginning and I got another BSOD after the first
restart after the Windows Desktop completely loaded, even before
inserting the SD Card. I briefly scanned the crash details and they
appeared very similar to those caused by the SD Card.

This is very strange. I didn't get BSODs when cloning the 160GB drive
from my original 100GB drive; but I got BSODs both times when performing
a clean install to the 160GB drive. It's also strange that it appears
to only affect one device. I think what I'll have to do next is
reinstall my 100GB drive, perform a clean install and wait to see if I
get BSODs durring the install or if not and when inserting the SD Card.
This may expose an incompatibility in my new HDD; but then again, the OS
and drivers are already mounted in RAM. The memory Diagnostic Tool
reports no errors after several passes.

I received another email from Emma, after having done the clean install
and she suggested uninstalling Firefox and collecting the Dump files
again. I nearly lost it! Apparently it seems she's forgotten that we
TS'd the system in Clean Boot mode. She must now think that Firefox's
downloading and installation of an update is causing the problem. It
seems to me that would be pretty difficult for an unrelated & unmounted
application to do and I expressed as much to her. I also informed her
that the problem persisted and displayed additional symptoms after a
clean install.

I'm losing my faith in this engineer. She keeps asking me to do things
over again, that don't appear to make sense with respect to the steps
we've already taken together. Also, her English is barely better than
pigeon. She appears to be located in mainland China. I've probably got
enough energy left to check for the same problems with another drive,
then if I still can't get a resolution I'm going to contact a Laptop
repair company and let them give it a try.

Barb,

Do you know of any reputable companies that can handle Latop repair of
this complexity?

Thanks, John

--
coljohnhannibalsmith