epson 4490 scanner & Vista 64 bit

Old May 1st 07, 03:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
phypps

Default epson 4490 scanner & Vista 64 bit

Anybody using the Epson Perfection 4490 scanner on Vista x64?

I am thinking of getting, so comments would be most welcome

Phypps

Old May 5th 07, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alfred Kaufmann

On Tue, 1 May 2007 16:47:07 +0100, "phypps" wrote:

Anybody using the Epson Perfection 4490 scanner on Vista x64?

I am thinking of getting, so comments would be most welcome

Phypps

Lucky you, Epson has a 64bit Vista driver. I hope it works for you.

Old May 12th 07, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

On May 1, 11:47 am, "phypps" wrote:
Anybody using theEpsonPerfection 4490scanneronVistax64?

I am thinking of getting, so comments would be most welcome

Phypps

My advice: don't do it. I have a brand new Vista-loaded Dell, and
just purchased an Epson 4490. The latter is supposed to be "Vista-
certified," but Epson is lieing. I cannot get the driver to load.
Microsoft blames Epson, Epson blames Dell, and Dell says they have
nothing to do with it. A horrible experience. Hunt around on the web
and you'll see I'm not alone in my experience. Suggest you look
elsewhere.

Old January 10th 08, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tsberry

1. Hardware-great scans but a little noisy. The scanner is fairly large,
so plan on a decent sized space for it. Scanner has a power switch and
runs off AC power instead of the power from your USB port. The lid can
be removed in order to scan books or large documents. You can scan
photographs (4 x (3x5) at one time), negatives, and your run of the mill
documents. Four buttons on the front include scan to email, pdf,
printer, and disk. Document feeder is optional and expensive.
2. Software-
a)Digital Ice-Cleans up your negatives scans (not photographs). For
that you use "Dust Removal". This software is slow but excellent at what
it is supposed to do.
b)Twain Driver-works fine with Vista x64, but don't use the CD that
came with the scanner-download the driver and utilities instead from the
Epson support web site. Do NOT install the XP driver or you WILL have
problems.
c)It comes with a utility called Epson Creativity Suite. I had to tweak
my software a little bit in order to be able to program the front
buttons correctly. First the scanner uses the WIA interface to the
operating system. In my case (Vista x64) I noticed that I could change
the applications associated with the scanner's front buttons, but could
not save the changes, I would get an "event handler" error with a
message to check that the scanner was on and connected properly. The fix
was to go into SERVICES-PROPERTIES for "Windows Image Aquisition" and
change the log on to the "System Account"-otherwise the driver won't
have permissions to change the necessary registry settings. The second
problem I had with the buttons was that the scan to email button would
NOT start up Outlook 2007. The fix-was to edit the file "C:\Program
Files (x86)\epson\Creativity Suite\Attach To Email\MailerDB.ini" and
change the lines ExePath= and ExeName to point to the directory and EXE
file, respectively for the Outlook application. After that the whole
suite worked flawlessly.
d)The scanner includes software to perform OCR, as well as scan
business cards with are "lite" versions of their originals. They do
work. It also includes a "file manager" which I found almost
unnecessary. Last, but not least, is Adobe Photoshop Elements ver 2.0.
One word-Excellent! (Get yourself the upgrade to the latest version, as
they have increased the features quite a bit.

3. Support
a) Online-Don't expect much help beyond the very BASIC. The download
sections have the drivers for Vista X64 and MAC OSX oses, as well as the
earlier versions of these OSes.
b) Paper Manual-forget it!-The only thing you'll find is the HTML based
manual on the CDROM. Once again VERY BASIC information.
c) Telephone-don't expect much help here. You're better off finding it
on the NET yourself.

Bottom line-If you have VISTA x64 this scanner gives good bang for the
buck but don't expect a lot of help or advice if you run into trouble.

--
tsberry