"New txt file" missing from right click menu

Old May 3rd 07, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Zepi

Default "New txt file" missing from right click menu

Hi

I lately noticed that my Vista (32bit) doesn't want me to make .txt files.
When I'll right click on desktop and choose new from the menu I'll get this:
http://zepi.kapsi.fi/PropertiesMenu.jpg
So, there is no "new txt file" option. This happens in every directory, not
just only on the desktop.

Is there any way to get the "new txt file" option back?
Old May 3rd 07, 10:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
dean-dean

You could try this:

Copy the following, between the dashes (i.e., don't include the dashes), and
Paste it into Notepad.

-------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt]
"Content Type"="text/plain"
"PerceivedType"="text"
@="txtfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\ShellNew]
"ItemName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74 ,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,\
6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65 ,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,\
00,6e,00,6f,00,74,00,65,00,70,00,61,00,64,00,2e,00 ,65,00,78,00,65,00,2c,00,\
2d,00,34,00,37,00,30,00,00,00
"NullFile"=""

-------------------------------------

Save the file as ShellNew.reg (no .txt extension).

Double-click on ShellNew.reg, and allow the merge. From your screen
capture, I noticed you were also missing New Bitmap Image (another Windows
default New item). You could download the fix for the .bmp file association
he

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/

Old May 4th 07, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Zepi

Great, thanks.
That did the trick.

I checked registry before importing values you gave. I found that that
Notepad++ had tweaked HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\(Default) value, maybe it
somehow caused this behavior.
The default value in read something like "Notepad++ _txtfile" and after
importing the values you gave there reads only "txtfile". Could this cause
behauvior like this?
If it's so, then I probably should have to post error report on Notepad++
forum.

And about the missing .bmp file. I don't really need that one, so it doesn't
bother me. Actually, in the New -menu there are few items that I never use.
Is there any way to (easily) configure the contents of that menu?
Old May 4th 07, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
dean-dean

It appears that Notepad++ made itself the default application for text files
(meaning that when you clicked on a text document, Notepad++ would open the
file, instead of Notepad). And yes, that program could have altered, or
deleted, the ShellNew key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt. Sometimes, in a
program's options dialog, the user can choose to make that program the
default handler for certain file types. Or the user is asked to do so by
the program when it's installed. Or none of the above, and the program
makes assumptions and "surprises" you. I've not used Notepad++, so I don't
know.

You probably have another key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, called (something
like) Notepad++ _txtfile, which, after merging the registry file I gave you,
isn't currently being used. (You are now using Vista's
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile). Instead of Text Document, the file type was
probably called something with Notepad++ in the name, like Notepad++
Document.

As far as (easily) configuring the contents of the New menu, no, Vista does
not offer that. You would have to edit the registry directly, which I'd not
do (not all ShellNew's are alike, and it's probably best to leave well
enough alone). In XP, the XP Power Toys offered this, with a show or hide
feature, as well as offering an easy way to create your own New items; and,
I imagine, down the road, there will be Vista Power Toys with the same
feature. (The XP Power Toys shouldn't be installed on Vista; the registry
locations, among other things, may have changed).

Old September 23rd 08, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Petiedawgs

I have Visual Studio 2008 and set that as a default program to open up .txt
files. This added a registry entry called something like ProgOpenWith and
had a defulat and nullfile value for VS.2008. With the registry entry
Shellnew.reg file, and if you have something like this which uses VS 2008
delete that key and use the file above and you will be fixed as well.

Old December 31st 09, 10:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
AmirGad

hello everyone, i also faced the same problem, i could not find new/file.txt
so i did the following:

*open your regedit.exe
** enter [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt]
*** enter (shellnew)