After shrinking drive C, cannot allocate the new partition

Old May 4th 07, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mighty_Mike

Default After shrinking drive C, cannot allocate the new partition

After I shrunk the C drive, I got an empty 53,57 unallocated space on drive 0.
When I choose the "new simple volume" option, It proceeds normally until the
last step and then I end up with the following error report:

"There is not enough free space on the disk to complete this operation"

Anybody can help ?

By the way, I'm trying to install "Windows 2000" on a 2nd partition
(actually its the fifth partition). I want to run programs that do not run
properly under Vista.

Thanks, Mike
Old May 4th 07, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Kerry Brown

You can only have four partitions on a drive. If you want more then one of
the four partitions has to be an extended partition which can then be
divided up into logical drives.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old May 4th 07, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Andy Sweet [MSFT]

Mike:
Be advised that installing an older OS (eg W2K) after you've installed a
recent OS (eg Vista) will mean your computer won't recognize the Vista boot
manager, and you won't be able to start Vista.

The W2K boot manager will stomp on the Vista boot manager--it won't know
what Vista is and will claim boot manager duties for itself, so to speak,
which is why for multiboot scenarios MS recommends installing the
oldest/earliest OS on the box first, and then later ones. (Windows is
designed to recognize earlier versions of itself on the disk and let them
be.)

If you decide to proceed and you get in a jam, you can try running Startup
Repair from the Vista disc, but it's not guaranteed to work. Others on the
forum may also point you to third-party solutions, or you can refer to the
Knowledge Base for help, e.g. KB 919529. Good luck.

--
Andy Sweet
Windows User Assistance team

Old May 4th 07, 05:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mighty_Mike

No, I have a 160 gB disk, of witch at 20 gig (at the most) is occupied.
Thanks, Mike

"Lucvdv" wrote:

Mighty_Mike wrote:
After I shrunk the C drive, I got an empty 53,57 unallocated space on drive 0.
When I choose the "new simple volume" option, It proceeds normally until the
last step and then I end up with the following error report:

"There is not enough free space on the disk to complete this operation"

Anybody can help ?

57.3 what? K, M?

If the system says it's too small, maybe it just is.
The "last step" is usually formatting: try FAT instead of NTFS, see if
that will fit.

By the way, I'm trying to install "Windows 2000" on a 2nd partition
(actually its the fifth partition). I want to run programs that do not run
properly under Vista.

Is it the 5th partition the system says there's no free space for, and
is it a basic disk?

You can only have 4 primary partitions on a disk. If you want more
partitions, you'll have to make the 4th partition an extended one
containing all the remaining space, and create the additional
partitions in that extended partition.

Old May 4th 07, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mighty_Mike

Thanks Andy,
Maybe I should then reformat the whole disk, install Windows 2000 and then
reinstall Vista ? I hope I don't have problems reinstalling Vista (with the
reinstallation disk). Hope it works ok. What do you think ?

Old May 4th 07, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mighty_Mike

How do I create an extended partition ? Do I have to expand again my C
partition (to go back to 4 partitions) before proceeding ? Btw, the 5
partitions I have now a

1) 55MB (EISA configuration) - this one appeadered aferte shrinking
2) Recovery (D 10 gB NTSF
3) OS (C 83,43 gB NTSF
4) 53,57 gB unallocated
5) 2 gB free space - This one also appeared after shrinking.

If it were not of the (1) and (5) partitions, I wouldn't have more than 4
partitons. Can I delete them - it would be simpler.

Mike

Old May 4th 07, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Kerry Brown

I don't know what 1 is. It's probably a diagnostic partition from the
manufacturer. I wouldn't delete 1 or 2 as you may need them to get back to
the factory setup. Can you delete 5? This may allow you to combine 4 and 5
to create a 4th partition. You may want to use a more sophisticated
partition management program like Acronis Disk Director or BootitNG.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing.../diskdirector/

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

With the disk management console in Vista your options are limited. When you
shrink partitions you may end up with unusable space if there is unallocated
space that is not adjacent etc..

Old May 4th 07, 08:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Alun Harford

Mighty_Mike wrote:
No, I have a 160 gB disk, of witch at 20 gig (at the most) is occupied.

Note that we're not interested in how much is used by files.
We're interested in the size of the remaining space for partitions.

Is that 57.3KB, 57.3MB, or 57.3GB of unallocated space?
If it's 57.3KB or 57.3MB this would explain your problem.

Assuming it's 57.3GB then there's another issue.
You cannot have more than 4 primary partitions on a 'basic' disk. If you
want more than that you'd need to either use an extended partition or
dynamic disk. To make an extended partition you'd need to delete one of
your primary partitions and lose all the data on it, so you might want
to use a dynamic disk - although it means only Win2K, WinXP and Vista
operating systems can read the disk.

Alun Harford
Old May 18th 07, 01:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Aman Khan

Default After shrinking drive C, cannot allocate the newpartition - Mightymike

Sub: After shrinking drive C, cannot allocate the new partition - Mightymike
Hi Mike, I just got my new dell lap top and had the same problem, but by going through your message and other's reply on the board, I got the clue and deleted the inbuilt 4th volume. After shrinking C drive it was simple to follow the guidelines of wizard. now I have only 4 drives which include mine marked F. So far no problem.
Thanks for your query which resulted in such a good response on the board. Good luck.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old August 16th 12, 07:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

Try this partition softwa http://www.disk-partition.com/help/c...partition.html it is a tutorial about create partition.