vista sound driver problem

Old May 6th 07, 05:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dean-dean

Default vista sound driver problem

It means User Account Control. If you click on the Start Menu, then click
on your user picture (on the top right side of the menu), it will open User
Accounts, where you can turn UAC on or off (the bottom link, on the right
side of the window). One example of UAC in action is when you open Device
Manager, and the screen dims, and you have to allow opening the program to
continue when the UAC pop-up appears, because of the possible risk involved
in going forward, given the nature of the program.

I'm just wondering whether UAC may be somehow preventing the driver update
from sticking...

"russ_will" wrote in message
i must be tired and sorry for sounding dumb , whats UAC mean ?

"dean-dean" wrote:

This is a puzzle. I have the same built-in soundcard that you have, and
have not had this problem. Realtek has two different downloads for
Vista's
driver (one, an .exe installation file, the other a .zip). Have you
tried
both? Both should be "unblocked". The .zip file installation, once the
files are extracted, uses Setup.exe, I believe, to begin the
installation.
Either .exe file should be Run as Administrator. Or you could try
turning
UAC off, if it isn't already (and turn it back on after the
installation).

Another work-around:

In Device Manager, double-click the generic High Definition driver, and,
on
the Driver tab, choose Update Driver. Then choose "Browse my computer
for
driver software." This time, instead of "Search for driver software in
this
location", try "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my
computer."
Then choose Have Disk. Browse to C:\Program
Files\Realtek\InstallShield...

"russ_will" wrote in message
i have been building my own pc's since 98 , i have never had a problem
like
this before . i have tried everything i can think of but nothing works
,
wish i had kept my old system with xp on

"dean-dean" wrote:

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. The only thing I can think of is
try
the setup file from Realtek again. Right-click on the .exe file that
starts the installation, and choose Properties. If it is blocked on
the
General tab, click on the Unblock button (Apply, OK). Then
right-click
on
the file again, and choose Run as Administrator.

"russ_will" wrote in message
tried it , not sure why but it did not work . wish i got xp now
as
vista
is to buggy for my liking

"dean-dean" wrote:

Try this (you should have files in C:\Program
Files\Realtek\InstallShield,
from the Realtek installation):

First, allow Vista to change your audio driver to the generic High
Definition driver (the one that doesn't work). On your keyboard,
press
the
Windows key + R. In the Run box, type

msconfig

On the Startup tab of System Configuration, if there are any files
from
Realtek Semiconductor, remove the checkmark for those, such as
RtHDVCpl.exe
(there may be others). (Apply, OK) and restart. (Tell System
Configuration
not to show you it's message or run again when you see that prompt
after
re-booting). Note: the appropriate startup item(s) will be
re-entered
automatically when the new driver from Realtek is installed.

Then, in Device Manager, double-click the generic High Definition
driver,
under "Sound, video and game controllers", and, on the Driver tab,
choose
Update Driver. Then choose "Browse my computer for driver
software."
Under
"Search for driver software in this location", Browse to C:\Program
Files\Realtek\InstallShield. Click OK once you've found that
folder,
then
click Next...

"russ_will" wrote in message
it says in device manager = realtec high definition audio , i am
using
the
drivers fron the realtech website (version 1.66) . audion chip is
the
realtech alc660 6-channel codec , it installs well but changes to
just
high
def audion for some reason if shutdown for longer than a few min

"dean-dean" wrote:

Specifically, what is the sound device's name in Device Manager,
under
Sound, video and game controllers (when the driver from Realtek
is
installed)? Are there files from Realtek in C:\Program
Files\Realtek\InstallShield?

"russ_will" wrote in
message
the sound device is onboard my motherboard , the board is the
asus
a8v-vm
se
. it uses a realtech driver which keeps getting replace ,
please
help
as
it
is driving my crazy

"russ_will" wrote:

every time i shut down vista the sound drivers are changed ,
then
reinstall
the latest realtech drivers but when i shut down my system
they
revert
ones that do not work . any way to stop vista changing the
drivers
?

Old May 6th 07, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Conor

In article ,
russ_will says...
i have been building my own pc's since 98 , i have never had a problem like
this before .

YEs you have...when XP first came out.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old May 6th 07, 01:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Conor

In article , dean-dean says...
This is a puzzle. I have the same built-in soundcard that you have, and
have not had this problem. Realtek has two different downloads for Vista's
driver (one, an .exe installation file, the other a .zip). Have you tried
both? Both should be "unblocked". The .zip file installation, once the
files are extracted, uses Setup.exe, I believe, to begin the installation.
Either .exe file should be Run as Administrator. Or you could try turning
UAC off, if it isn't already (and turn it back on after the installation).

There are two different driver sets. One is for the Realtek HD and the
other is for normal Realtek. Either will install but only one will
work.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old May 6th 07, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dean-dean

The OP stated he was installing Version R1.66, which is the installer for
High Definition Audio from the Realtek site, which is found he

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

There are two Vista compatible downloads for the same version, just in
different packages (.zip and .exe). Either should work.

"Conor" wrote in message
.. .
In article , dean-dean says...

Old May 6th 07, 10:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
russ_will

lol , i cannot remember that . but then again i have build a lot of computers
since then (not just my own)

"Conor" wrote:

In article ,
russ_will says...

Old May 6th 07, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
russ_will

touch wood it is working for the moment , i will find out in the morning .
thx for the help anyways

Old May 7th 07, 04:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
russ_will

well i still have this problem , the driver has revert back and when i try to
update it with driver update it says no audio installed . it only works if i
install the realtek drivers , but they do not stick and it is getting me mad
and i am ready for scrapping vista

"russ_will" wrote:

lol , i cannot remember that . but then again i have build a lot of computers
since then (not just my own)

"Conor" wrote:

In article ,
russ_will says...

Old May 9th 07, 03:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
russ_will

how do i stand if i swap the motherboard because of this bug at the store i
got the bits for building my new pc ? (warrenty replacement)

"russ_will" wrote:

lol , i cannot remember that . but then again i have build a lot of computers
since then (not just my own)

"Conor" wrote:

In article ,
russ_will says...

Old May 9th 07, 06:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dean-dean

It is pretty odd that Vista is "discovering" your audio device after every
boot, as though it were something you'd just plugged in. Is there anything
in your BIOS regarding audio that you can toggle?

Some posters have had luck getting drivers to stick when they delete
infcache.1 in C:\Windows\inf\. (Some have not). To try that, run Commmand
Prompt as Administrator, and type

icacls C:\Windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 /grant administrators:F

Press Enter. Then type

rename C:\Windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 infcache.1.bak

Press Enter. Then run the installlation file from Realtek.

As to an exchange of motherboards, dunno. I've never tried it. How
convincing can you be? I wouldn't think it would be a problem...

news

"russ_will" wrote:

lol , i cannot remember that . but then again i have build a lot of
computers
since then (not just my own)

"Conor" wrote:

In article ,
russ_will says...
i have been building my own pc's since 98 , i have never had a
problem like
this before .

YEs you have...when XP first came out.

--
Conor

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear
bright
until you hear them speak.........

Old May 9th 07, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
russ_will

tried that but it did not work , so i got a new soundblaster audigy SE . now
it says not enough resources , what gives ?

"dean-dean" wrote:

It is pretty odd that Vista is "discovering" your audio device after every
boot, as though it were something you'd just plugged in. Is there anything
in your BIOS regarding audio that you can toggle?

Some posters have had luck getting drivers to stick when they delete
infcache.1 in C:\Windows\inf\. (Some have not). To try that, run Commmand
Prompt as Administrator, and type

icacls C:\Windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 /grant administrators:F

Press Enter. Then type

rename C:\Windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 infcache.1.bak

Press Enter. Then run the installlation file from Realtek.

As to an exchange of motherboards, dunno. I've never tried it. How
convincing can you be? I wouldn't think it would be a problem...

news

"russ_will" wrote:

lol , i cannot remember that . but then again i have build a lot of
computers
since then (not just my own)

"Conor" wrote:

In article ,