Help, lost my Vista product key!!!!

Old May 7th 07, 01:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
XS11E

Default Help, lost my Vista product key!!!!

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

"bgosper" wrote in message
I BOUGHT A DELL pc. It came with a free upgrade to Vista when it
came out. I
received the upgrade pack from Dell but there was no product key
or it got thrown out--it came shrink wrapped on a piece of
cardboard!! I have done the install but now am stuck because it
wants the product key to continue. I can't reverse it so the PC
is basically useless. What do I do?? Dell says I
am screwed basically. Can I get it back? If not how do I get
another one? Do
I have to buy a new full edition??

Is the product key not on a label on the side of the computer
(bottom if it's a laptop)?

Hmmmm, could the OEM key work for the Vista upgrade? I'm sure the
sticker on the case is for XP but the OP should at least give it a try,
if that doesn't work he'll have to try a restore using the Dell restore
CD or whatever they gave him to restore.

Old May 7th 07, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Chad Harris

Bgosper--

What you never want to do in life is put your tail between your legs while
being screwed and you paid for something. I understand someone can drive a
Ferrari off a cliff and it's not their fault, but this isn't analagous.
You bought a box from them and you have proof of the DVD. They owe you a PK
that works you haven't used. They didn't get the PK to you. I've seen it
happen before. LOL A couple weeks ago they shipped a top of the line XPS my
friend ordered to the wrong address. Believe me they took care of him. He
got a replacement and fast.

Whoever told you "you're screwed" from Dell is worthless in relating to
customers. Don't take that crap. You paid for it. Had it been MSFT you
would call and read the part number and they'd gen you a new PK. Just call
back and if they won't replace the PK after you read the Part number off the
Dell DVD--they have 'em too.

Get all your shipping info down: Service Tag/Shipping # because you may be
asked and get any number off the Vista DVD Dell shipped you (Part # etc.)
Include all these in any communication; phone or email or the digital form
I'm linking you below.

1) Call backget a supervisorand if they don't fix this within minutes
don't call them again. You're not talking to Round Rock when you call
"Dell."

2) Next time call Dell Media Relations and tell them you want someone from
Roundrock to fix this. You paid for a frigging PC with your hard earned
money. They made a lot of it.

3) Additionally, you can use these links:

*The 1 business day response time will be within Dell business hours 8-5 pm
CST, Monday - Friday (excluding holidays).

Unresolved Customer Service Issues Dell
https://support.dell.com/support/top...=us&l=en&s=gen

4) Shoot them an email at this alias:

5) Contact Lionel Mechanica at Dell Directly
Lionel Menchaca, Digital Media Manager

Good luck and let me know what happens,

CH

Old May 7th 07, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Chad Harris

The PK isn't on the DVD that's true whether it's OEM as in this case or
whether it were MSFT retail. But the Part Numbers are. And in this case he
didn't just buy a retail DVD; he paid considerable money to Dell for a PC.
He needs to hammer Dell; it's not the first or the last time Dell has either
misdirected a shipment (I saw that last week on a top of the line XPS) or
left something out of a shipment. They can make it right. If the story is
true, he shouldn't have to "purchase" anything. Dell should be apologizing
for what they left out of the shipment.

CH

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote in message
The Product Key is not on the CD in any form.
The only record to on the wrapper you threw out.
If Dell can not help, you may need to purchase another if you want Vista.

A very slight chance:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326246
But I doubt it since it is OEM.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old May 7th 07, 02:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Chad Harris

Richard--

Dell has elected to show some responsibility with Vista and PC Sales.
Unlike the other OEM Named partners who succumb to MSFT's pushes not to ship
a DVD, Dell ships a DVD:

He has the way to make this good.

What MSFT's OEM VP Scott DiValerio (Accountant not Software Engineer
Doesn't Want to See)
http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...0/17/3132.aspx

CH

"Richard in AZ" wrote in message

"bgosper" wrote in message
I BOUGHT A DELL pc. It came with a free upgrade to Vista when it came out.
received the upgrade pack from Dell but there was no product key or it
got
thrown out--it came shrink wrapped on a piece of cardboard!! I have done
the
install but now am stuck because it wants the product key to continue. I
can't reverse it so the PC is basically useless. What do I do?? Dell
says I
am screwed basically. Can I get it back? If not how do I get another one?
Do
I have to buy a new full edition??

If you did not get the XP restore disk, there should be access to the XP
restore via a hidden partition on the hard drive. Check your owners
manual on how to access it.
As others will tell you, you have to learn to keep track of the Product
code that comes with the disk. A hard lesson, but now you will know
better.

Old May 7th 07, 02:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Chad Harris

Richard in AZ--

There's the possibility he never received it. At any rate he bought a Dell
PC. They should make his PK good however it gets done. Dell's also not in
a position right now to be using customers because they have dropped market
posistion and are doing major structural reorganization in sales emphasis to
try to catch up to HP.

I know I sure as hell would get a PK that worked from them. He has the ways.

Old May 7th 07, 02:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Chad Harris

Hi Grege--

How can he use F8 options for restore of an OS whose PK he needs to install
(the upgrade) in the first place?

CH

Old May 7th 07, 03:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Dell should be apologizing for what they left out of the shipment."
Only if your ASSUMPTION is correct.

It seems more likely the key was thrown out with the shrink-wrap.
"or it got thrown out--it came shrink wrapped on a piece of
cardboard!!"
But I wont make an assumption as you like to do.
Perhaps you missed this line in the OPs post.

Old May 7th 07, 05:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gary VanderMolen

I think the OP misspoke. The upgrade DVD didn't come from Dell,
it came from ModusLink.

Gary VanderMolen

Old May 7th 07, 11:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
john

"bgosper" wrote in message
I BOUGHT A DELL pc. It came with a free upgrade to Vista when it came out.
received the upgrade pack from Dell but there was no product key or it got
thrown out--it came shrink wrapped on a piece of cardboard!! I have done
the
install but now am stuck because it wants the product key to continue. I
can't reverse it so the PC is basically useless. What do I do?? Dell says
am screwed basically. Can I get it back? If not how do I get another one?
Do
I have to buy a new full edition??

are you sure you threw it out?
you didn't say if this was a laptop or a desktop, but regardless, the last
couple of Dells I purchased both had the Product Key on a sticker on the PC
itself - in my case, laptops had a sticker on the bottom...