Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?

Old June 15th 07, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kevin

Default Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?

NewsReader2K

Having the same problems here. We are on Small Business Server 2003. I find
Vista incredibly slow for all tasks, local, network and internet. I have a
brand new AMD 64 PC with 2 GB of RAM and it runs like a PIII with 256
MB.....badly.

I did turn off the Gadget things and that improved the performance somewhat.

Opening or closing applications takes time, surfing takes time...the OS is
not nearly as fast as XP...

Kevin Burns

--
Kevin Burns
Money Concepts,

"NewsReader2K" wrote:

System Specs:

Vista Ultimate
P4 3.2 Ghz
2 gig DDR dual-channel memory

I did a Google search and got bombarded with conflicting info, and was I
wondering if there were an official work-around for this issue?

Thx

Old August 8th 07, 08:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
[email protected]

I found this solution to SLOW file copy/delete/move:

Open Programs & Features
Select Turn Windows Features On or Off
De-select Remote Differential Compression
Select OK

It will take several minutes for this to be de-activated.

Reboot to be sure it takes.

Now these operations fly!

Old August 11th 07, 03:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Txdancer

This fix has been around for some time, but like most other fixes having to
do with the slow/copy/move files problem, it appears to work for some and
not for others.

Google Groups:
http://tinyurl.com/387tqt

There are a couple of major compatibility/performance updates coming next
Tuesday to Windows Update. Hopefully some of these issues will be addressed
in these updates.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

oups.com...

Old June 8th 08, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kika[_2_]

NOTE: I want to first apologize if I am not posting this correctly.
Please forgive me that. (I usually have a software engineer friend who
helps me, but he's at a loss as well....). Please advise if I need to
post this differently. Thank you so much.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium on an HPw1907. If more specs are
needed, let me know. I do have sp1 as well.

When I first got my computer, all was dandy. THEN, I did my windows
updates as scheduled and one day (uncertain when, but not long after I
purchased the machine in February) I preformed a very simple task of
changing a file name. It locked my computer for a good 1 to 1.5
minutes until finally the name was changed. Also, when I try to move
or delete files and folders it takes an extremely long time to complete
- and as many others described...the little nagging window stating how
long it's going to take to change, move or delete a tiny file like for
instance, notepad.

I have searched the internet desperately for some fix to this, but have
found none that have worked. I have tried all on this forum that would
apply to me to no avail. Is this something that I just have to deal
with or is there some sort of "fix" or "work-around" available?

I have no conflicts with other software that I am aware of as I have
literally tried all I can...again to no avail.

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. I have a business
website I've been trying to finish and it is really aggravating trying
to create new folders for organization.

Thank you again.

--
Kika
Kika's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=51223

http://forums.techarena.in

Old June 8th 08, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ken Blake, MVP

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 20:40:51 +0530, Kika
wrote:

[...]

Performance problems these days are very often caused by malware
infection. What firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware applications do
you run?

I would begin troubleshooting by going to MVP Malke's malware removal
site at
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware and
following the instructions there.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old May 11th 10, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ftpex

wrote:

[...]

This is a brand new machine. I have mcaffee on both machines and I
moved my files to a share that took about an hour which is terrible but
then I tried to move the files from c:\ftpex to ftpex\documents and it
said it was going to take over 9 hours. I am only talking about 4 gig
worth of data. I am already on service pack 2. This performance is
horrible. Doing the same thing on xp took less than 5 mins. My
hardware on the new box should be twice as fast as it is brand new out
of the box. Even deleting a few files took over 20 mins.

--
ftpex
ftpex's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/219103.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 11th 10, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ken Blake, MVP

wrote:

[...]

You are replying to a message I wrote almost two years ago?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup