Old November 24th 07, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
RonM

Default Can not print from IE7 in Vista/ or I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION

"Busdriverhk" wrote:

Hi Ron,

Could you please spell out exactly what you did, searching the
eventviewer?? And how to reanme a file? Don't understand? Not very windows
savy. I obviously have the same problem, but I managed to get it working
disabling the protected mode, which is NOT my prefered option.

Thx Bruce

Bruce,

If I can simplify my answer:

If you are running BitDefender Antivirus V10 and your operating system is
Vista, then you likely have the problem I did.
Before I describe the solution, I just want to mention that just
uninstalling BitDefender V10 and upgrading to BitDefender 2008 is likely to
solve the entire problem and it has a free download and evaluation period.
Now, on to the instructions for the fix:
There is a module (sockspy.dll) in BitDefender that causes a problem with
Vista UAC and must be disabled. Disabling it will not cause a problem with
your virus protection. You can find more information on that from the
BitDefender forum at:
http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=420
Anyway, you will need to go to C:\windows\system32\ and rename ‘sockspy.dll’
to ‘sockspy.dl_’, this prevents the file from being loaded by BitDefender and
effectively is equivalent to deleting the file. Unfortunately, though
renaming most files is very simple, it is not so simple to rename Vista
system files since you first have to take ownership (even if you are logged
in as admin). There is a good example of how to take ownership of a Vista
system file to rename, delete, or overwrite at this web site:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
You may also need to temporarily disable User Account Control, and there are
plenty of instruction on the web for that if you are not familiar.
Some of the things I have mentioned here are fairly advanced methods. If
you are a computer novice and need help with such things as renaming files, I
would suggest that before you attempt any of what I have described above,
that you go to your local book store and purchase a good beginner’s book on
“Windows Vista”. Read and play with that for a while before you attempt any
of the above. And I am often amazed at what I can find by simply typing a
question into the google.com search prompt.
Hope this helps.
Ron