Old November 25th 07, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mr.leith

Default DVD/CD Drive not even showing up!

i have the same problem how did you fix it

"gallegra" wrote:

Hey all;

I just got a new gateway laptop on Black Friday over at Best Buy, and since
it's new it has Vista on it. I was loading some files and stuff onto my
computer using some data discs I had just made from my old PC, and then all
of a sudden last night the discs stopped loading. I checked around, and I
can't find any proof that my disc drive even EXISTS, whether it has a disc in
it or not. I've gone into Computer Management, and not only does the drive
not show up, I can't even find it by scanning or refreshing, and it doesn't
show up on "My Computer" at all either. Eventually, I did find it on the
Computer Manager, but it wasn't listed on the "Drive" list and had the yellow
exclamation icon on it. Here are some screen caps;

"My Computer", only showing the CPU and Recovery Drives (No Disc Drive);
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/...MYCOMPUTER.jpg

"Computer Manager" showing only the two drives, still no CD/DVD/Disc Drive
listed;
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/...nagement01.jpg

"Device Manager" listed under the "Computer Manager", showing the CD/DVD
drive with a yellow exclamation Icon;
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/...nagement02.jpg

Oh, by the way, when I found the drive under the "Device Manager" I tried
searching for hardware updates, driver updates, and anything else I can find,
and tried disabling it/re-enabling it, and nothing worked. So, who knows. Can
anyone help?

Thanks

-Gary