Joining Vista Home Basic to a Domain

Old May 10th 07, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Joe

Default Joining Vista Home Basic to a Domain

I would like to join a Vista Home Basic machine to an existing domain. When
I purchased the desktop from Dell I was told this was possible. Is it
possible? If not, there are some applications that call files stored on our
servers and since the desktop falls under the workgroup category every
morning when I login I have to type in the adminitrator username and password.

My Question:

Can I join a Vista Home Basic desktop to a domain and how can I do it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 10th 07, 03:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

By design, the Vista home can't join the domain. However, you don't need to join the domain to access the domain network recourses. these search results may help,

workgroup networking faqsHow can I share files between workgroup computer and domain/workgroup computer ... 3) Create the same username and password on both workgroup and domain so ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/workgroupnet.htm

logon how to2) Even you have different workgroup name and domain, you can logon domain instead of workgroup at home, and logon the same username and password on other ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/logon.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Old October 5th 07, 07:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
VTTfor

;2838110']By design, the Vista home can't join the domain. However, you

http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Joe" wrote in message
I would like to join a Vista Home Basic machine to an existing domain.
When
I purchased the desktop from Dell I was told this was possible. Is it

possible? If not, there are some applications that call files stored
on our
servers and since the desktop falls under the workgroup category every

morning when I login I have to type in the adminitrator username and
password.

My Question:

Can I join a Vista Home Basic desktop to a domain and how can I do it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

*-
I have installed Windows Vista Home Basic on my boss' laptop. I must
join in domain of company.
Can you help me! To join laptop of my boss in our domain!
Thanh you very much!
-*

--
VTTfor
VTTfor's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=32331

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 5th 07, 09:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Meinolf Weber

Hello VTTfor,

Like Robert stated before, it is NOT possible with Home Basic.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

Old October 5th 07, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Return Home Basic and get Vista Business or Ultimate that can join a
domain.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old March 31st 10, 08:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
miniman3214

to join domain download this
http://q-consulting.home.comcast.net...es/joindom.exe

--