Old November 28th 07, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
jj mac

Default EASY Fix for WMI Provider Host Issue

Killing the program is one way of getting rid of the message but not one that
I would care to follow. I take note of the warning notice that if the WMI
program is stopped most Windows based software will not function properly and
ones that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. Security Center and
IP Helper fail to start on my computer if WMI is stopped and I have noticed
other programs not functioning properly. So no, not for me. Sorry Doc
--
JJ MacA

"Doc" wrote:

I've been hacking at this for months until I tried the following which works like a charm. I think the problem is some type of conflict between "security center" on Vista and various 3rd party antivirus programs.

Go to control panel--administrative tools--services (use default view if you can't find it). Scroll down to "Windows Management Instrumentation" (sort by name) and click "stop service" on the left. You will get a prompt telling you what programs will be affected (mostly b.s. and security center), but go ahead and do it. BYE BYE annoying message. McAffee works fine after this so you're "protected with your antivirus software.

For completion sake, I also ran msconfig in the run pane, clicked on services and disabled Windows Management Instrumentation there too. (you can also get there by control panel--system configuration).

I think you might get the same results by trying to disable security center in the control panel as well, but I didn't want to bother - just shut the whole thing off and my computer is humming now!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com