Old November 30th 07, 02:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

Default My Computer hangs / delays because of waiting for external drives

Many external drives behave this way, It is not likely to be a Vista issue,
because the default for Vista is to keep the drives powered continuously.
Check the manufacturers site. You may or may not be able to do anything
about this.

"Destin_FL" wrote in message
Hello,
Vista Ultimate... two Lacie external drives, a 500GB USB and a 250GB
Firewire.

When I go to My Computer (just Computer now in Vista of course) the act of
opening that process in Explorer hesitates / hangs / delays while Vista is
waiting to sort of spin up these external drives, you know it feels as
though Vista has told them to suspend or something when not in use.

I have tried everything I know, and Googled to death trying to figure how
make Vista stop letting these drives go to sleep or hibernate or whatever
the correct word is in Vista now.

So I guess my primary question is how to stop these external drives from
suspending/sleeping. This never happened in XP, these drives were always
ready and running at any time.

Thanks!

Tim