Screen resolution problems

Old May 15th 07, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andi

Default Screen resolution problems

Hi,

I have recently installed Vista Home Premium (64 bit) on a new machine, and
am having a problem with the display settings. I have a GeForce 8800 GTX
and 4GB of system RAM, but the display won't go above 1024*768.

I know the monitor I have will go higher as I ran WinXP (32 bit) in
1280*1024 without any issues.

I have installed the latest drivers for the motherboard, and the latest
drivers for the graphics card from the nVidia website, but still nothing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions
I could try?

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance of any assistance

Andi

Old May 15th 07, 09:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Andi,

When you set the resolution, did you right click the desktop Personalize
Display Settings Advanced and then select List all Modes and select the
resolution you want from the list?

--
freddy

Old May 15th 07, 09:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andi

Hi Freddy,

Thanks for this - the highest res in the box is the one I have already
selected. If theres anything else you can suggest I try, that would be
great.

Cheers,

Andi

Old May 15th 07, 09:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

What is the actual release number of the drivers you are using? AFAIK the
latest Bea drivers are the 158.43 drivers there are also some 160.03 drivers
available at other Websites?

Old May 15th 07, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andi

Hi JW,

The version number of the drivers I'm using is 7.15.11.5824. As far as I'm
aware this is the latest version of the drivers.

Regards,

Andi

Old May 15th 07, 10:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
babaloo

Have you loaded the drivers for your monitor?
Are your trying to get a screen resolution that is greater than the native
resolution of your monitor?
If you have an LCD you should run it only at its native resolution, not
less, and it cannot be run at a higher resolution.

Old May 15th 07, 11:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andi

The monitor is a 19" Xerox TFT.

It ran without issue for over a year under XP in a native res of 1280*1024.

et...

Old May 16th 07, 01:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Andi,

Yup, a 19" monitor typically has a native resolution of 1280 X 1024, and you
should be able to set it to that. Does the gForce software include some sort
of Control Panel where you could find additional options for managing
resolutions? I'm an ATI user, so I'm not familiar with gForce products. Try
googling the problem to see what comes up. Would reinstalling the drivers
help? Just some thoughts.
--
freddy

"Andi" wrote:

The monitor is a 19" Xerox TFT.

It ran without issue for over a year under XP in a native res of 1280*1024.

et...

Old May 16th 07, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andi

Hi Freddy,

Thanks for the suggestions. There is a control panel that comes with the
drivers, but that doesn't let me go higher than 1024*768 either. I have
tried reinstalling the drivers, with no success.

The monitor didn't come with any driver disc when I bought it. I have
checked the Xerox website, but I can't find any drivers there for Vista.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I'm prepared to try almost anything!

Cheers,

Andi

news

"Andi" wrote:

The monitor is a 19" Xerox TFT.

It ran without issue for over a year under XP in a native res of
1280*1024.

et...

Old May 16th 07, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Andi,

You've likely heard of the utility called Power Strip. It can establish
custom resolutions, providing a display supports any resolution selected.
That's my understanding, though I've not ever had a need to use it. Take a
look at this utility to see whether it can be beneficial to you. You can use
google to find it. Just a suggestion.
--
freddy

"Andi" wrote:

The monitor is a 19" Xerox TFT.

It ran without issue for over a year under XP in a native res of
1280*1024.

et...