Old December 8th 07, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ricardo.l

Default Laptop fan control

No bios settings, but on booting there is no wrong behavior.
It arises on wake up after one goes standby or hybernation.
Thanks though,
Ricardo

"Brett I. Holcomb" wrote:

Have you checked the BIOS to see if there are settings for the fan
such as auto, full on, etc. I had that on a rack mount system - the
vendor shipped it with the BIOS set to full on and it was noisy!

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:08:01 -0800, ricardo.l
wrote:

On my Acer laptop (which I recently bought together with Vista Premium) when
I go out of standby the fan doesn't stop running at max speed.
It doesn't make sense that, being power settings at min level, during normal
operation it just switch on once in a while (and not even at max speed,
judging from its noise); and as soon as it wakes up it's impossible that it
needs cooling down anything hot.

I wonder whether this is a buggy Vista driver rather than a poor hardware
design behavior, for which Acer would be responsible instead.
In the first case I would ask for suggestions on how to switch fan off
without rebooting the system each time (making standby feature useless).

Thanks a lot,
Ricardo