Cannot scan

Old May 17th 07, 04:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Abheeth

Default Cannot scan

i have managed to install the drivers to my scanner. I am using adobe
photoshop in vista ultimate. when i try to scan, an error message appears
saying "could not complete the import command because of a poblem with the
aquisition module interface" when i try using just the scanner software by
itself, the program just closes. the scanner is a "winscan pro 1248u" i have
windows xp installed in another partition, when i use the same adobe
photoshop through that and try to scan it works. so it is a problem with
vista. please help

Old May 17th 07, 04:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dominic Payer

Are the drivers written for Vista?

If any temporary directory they write to is in the Program Files area this
is likely to be the problem, as Vista does not allow write access in this
area. If you can find the directory the drivers are writing to you could
modify the permissions for it to allow write access.

Blocking write access to Program Files prevents malware installing itself,
so only change the permissions for directories you need. It would be better,
if possible, to change the driver settings so that temporary files are
written to the User area.

Old May 17th 07, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Abheeth

how exactly do you find out where the drivers are writing to? and how do you
change the permission?

Old May 17th 07, 04:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dominic Payer

Where the drivers write to you'll have to find out for yourself - I don't
know your scanner. Probably the driver doesn't follow the recommended
practice of not writing to the Program Files area and creates a temporary
folder in its own program area.

When you know the folder, right click on it, select Properties then Security
and change the permissions to allow write access for your username.

There may be an ini file you can edit to change the working files location,
which would avoid the need to change the permissions.

Old May 17th 07, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

"Abheeth" wrote in message
i have managed to install the drivers to my scanner. I am using
adobe photoshop in vista ultimate. when i try to scan, an error
message appears saying "could not complete the import command
because of a poblem with the aquisition module interface" when i
try using just the scanner software by itself, the program just
closes. the scanner is a "winscan pro 1248u" i have
windows xp installed in another partition, when i use the same adobe
photoshop through that and try to scan it works. so it is a problem
with vista. please help

It would be simpler for you to check the scanner manufacturer's website for
Vista compatible drivers. If you are using the drivers that shipped with
your scanner and Vista wasn't released yet, it's quite likely the drivers
you are using are not compatible with Vista. Drivers are the responsibility
of the hardware manufacturers.

--
Michael Solomon