4gb and vista Ultimate 32bit

Old May 18th 07, 04:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rob

Default 4gb and vista Ultimate 32bit

I know that Vista 32 will not REPORT 4gb of ram , as a matter of fact it
will most likely report 2.8gb out of 4 with my system.

BUT one thing I cannot find about this issue , is ALL 4gb being used?

And I do have 3gb of ram BUT my system only show 2.8gb , is this all I can
ever see? and is MY FULL 3gb being used even though its not being seen?

Thanks for any info.
Old May 18th 07, 12:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom Lake

"Rob" wrote in message
news
I know that Vista 32 will not REPORT 4gb of ram , as a matter of fact it
will most likely report 2.8gb out of 4 with my system.

BUT one thing I cannot find about this issue , is ALL 4gb being used?

And I do have 3gb of ram BUT my system only show 2.8gb , is this all I can
ever see? and is MY FULL 3gb being used even though its not being seen?

No, the other RAM is NOT being used. Your motherboard moves it above the
4 GB line and so it can't be reached by a 32-bit OS. For an explanation and
possible
workaround (not for all motherboards) see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988/

Tom Lake

Old May 18th 07, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rob

"Tom Lake" wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
news
I know that Vista 32 will not REPORT 4gb of ram , as a matter of fact it
will most likely report 2.8gb out of 4 with my system.

BUT one thing I cannot find about this issue , is ALL 4gb being used?

And I do have 3gb of ram BUT my system only show 2.8gb , is this all I can
ever see? and is MY FULL 3gb being used even though its not being seen?

No, the other RAM is NOT being used. Your motherboard moves it above the
4 GB line and so it can't be reached by a 32-bit OS. For an explanation and
possible
workaround (not for all motherboards) see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988/

Tom Lake

Hey Tom and everyone else , thanks for the response.

I have read those links before so I guess 64 bit is the only way 4gb would
be used , BUT what about the 3gb I already have , why does it only show 2.8gb
I wonder?

thanks for any help

PS: Yes I tested the ram its all good , and the system is rock solid even
under heavy load , also CPUZ shows all 3gb but windows does not.
Old May 19th 07, 09:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Conor

In article , Rob
says...

"Tom Lake" wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
news
[...]

Because the memory of PCI/PCIe cards is mapped from the top of the 4GB
downwards. If you go to device manager and look at the properties
resource tab for each device, you'll see that it has a certain amount
of memory allocated - even things such as the speaker have memory
addresses allocated to them.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old May 18th 07, 12:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom Lake

"Rob" wrote in message
news
I know that Vista 32 will not REPORT 4gb of ram , as a matter of fact it
will most likely report 2.8gb out of 4 with my system.

BUT one thing I cannot find about this issue , is ALL 4gb being used?

And I do have 3gb of ram BUT my system only show 2.8gb , is this all I can
ever see? and is MY FULL 3gb being used even though its not being seen?

Thanks for any info.

Here's an even better link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Tom Lake

Old May 18th 07, 12:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter

I guess I'm lucky then that the system sees 3.431gb of my 4gb.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"Tom Lake" wrote in message

news

Old May 18th 07, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Conor

In article , Peter
says...
I guess I'm lucky then that the system sees 3.431gb of my 4gb.

If all your hardware is supported in 64 bit Vista, send a few quid off
to MS for a x64 installation DVD and put that on. Uses same CD Key.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old May 19th 07, 01:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Noozer

"Conor" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Peter
says...
I guess I'm lucky then that the system sees 3.431gb of my 4gb.

If all your hardware is supported in 64 bit Vista, send a few quid off
to MS for a x64 installation DVD and put that on. Uses same CD Key.

Your MAINBOARD does not support letting the OS use all 4 gig.

Old May 19th 07, 09:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Conor

In article , Noozer says...

"Conor" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Peter
says...
I guess I'm lucky then that the system sees 3.431gb of my 4gb.

If all your hardware is supported in 64 bit Vista, send a few quid off
to MS for a x64 installation DVD and put that on. Uses same CD Key.

Your MAINBOARD does not support letting the OS use all 4 gig.

If POST shows 4GB, yes it does.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........