Old December 15th 07, 06:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
eddified

Default Extended Tiles - broken - any fix?

Deleting the specified Registry keys did not work for me. I still don't
see the disk space bars in explorer when viewing the hard disks, etc.
The "Computer" view in Explorer has an "Extended Tiles" view available
-- a corruption according to the post I am replying to.

I even tried this:
1. boot into safe mode
2. In regedit, I searched for "BagMRU" and deleted -all- instances of
it until running a registry search for "BagMRU" turned up no results.
And whenever I found a key next to "BagMRU" named "Bags", I deleted it,
too.
3. logged off and back on.

I've searched and searched on the internet, and everyone seems to get
this problem fixed by deleting these registry keys.... but doing so
didn't fix it for me.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks.

dean-dean;317432 Wrote:
Actually, if you look again, you may be the one with the choice for
Extended
Tiles, and your wife's View menu just lists Tiles. Your view of
Computer is
a corruption of the Computer view's folder template. There are only a
small
number of windows that offer Extended Tiles; Control Panel\Manage
Wireless
Networks and Control Panel\Sync Center are a couple that I can think
of.
Otherwise, in Explorer windows, the look is quite goofy (I think it has
some
oblique mention of Offline Files, or something, either in the tile icon
itself, or in the Details pane).

Once your folder views start this sort of corruption, it gets worse
from
there. (For example, I've had the Windows folder using a Music Details
template, which can't be changed using Customize, because that tab
isn't
available in the Windows folder's Properties, the "Uninstall or
Change a
Program" Control Panel using the Contacts folder template (with Import
and
Export [contacts] in the Toolbar), just to name a couple of my own
folder
view glitches, not to mention the odd Extended Tiles View in Explorer
folders.

Vista is set up to "remember" 5000 folders. That being said, deleting
the
following two keys in the registry, will give you a clean slate, and
reset
your folders to the defaults. (All remembered folder settings in
Windows
Explorer for view state, window position, sort order, column
information,
folder type, toolbar toggles, and search result views will be lost,
just so
you know what to expect; but any corruption, which indeed does happen,
will
also be deleted). The keys in Vista a

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

(right-click on the key BagMRU, in the left pane, and choose delete)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

(right-click on the key Bags, in the left pane, and choose delete)

Log off and log back on to Windows to re-create the keys (done
automatically), and start anew.

"Michael Hainsworth"
wrote in
message ...
The "Computer" window used to display as Extended Tiles. It still

does,
but
the tiles are no longer "extended" -- they don't show the size of my

hard
disks or the remaining capacity, etcetera.

My wife's account still displays Extended Tiles correctly, but mine

does
not.

I love this view! Halp!

--