Old December 16th 07, 05:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Feeta

Default "The Audio Service is not running"

This is the message I get when I hold my pointer over the volume symbol on my
taskbar. When I click on the symbol, the volume mixer is not available and
when I click on one of the othe choices (playback devices, recording devices,
sounds) I get a pop up message asking me if I want to enable the Windows
Audio Service. I go through the whole thing and when I get to the sound
window, it says the speakers are working and the microphone is working, but I
can't hear anything and the volume symbol has an 'x' on it. When I go to see
which services are running on my computer in the task manager, is says
'Audiosrv' and 'AudioEndpointBuilder' are stopped, and when I try to start
the services, it says error. I have a Dell Latitude D630 notebook running on
vista ultimate 32-bit,, have had it since August, and the sound has worked
fine until yesterday. Any help?