Adding Memory

Old May 20th 07, 09:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LarryB

Default Adding Memory

Ok, after spending the last couple of hours reading the posts from searches
on "ram" and "memory", I don't know which I'm afraid of more, changing my
memory configuration, or asking the following! :-))

I mean it's been asked to death and I'm still at somewhat of a loss. So I
apologize in advance for being a bit thick!

I'm running Vista 32 bit Ultimate on a Dell E510 D820
2GB DDR2 SD Ram, (4x512MB)
BFG NVidea 7600GT-OC 256MB Video card

I've been thinking about adding memory because a couple of apps have
reported out of memory problems. One of those is a photo editing package.

Looking at Crucial today, matched sets of 2x1GB sticks are selling at
$79.95!

Question: I understand that if I install 4GB memory I will not see all of
it. But I still don't understand whether it's being used or not. Is it that
the OS has reserved the memory adresses above a certain amount and that much,
(higher), memory is just laying there, or is it that the OS is reserving that
memory for it's actual use, leaving the rest for application use? If the
latter, that seems to me a good thing.

Question: Do I buy 1 set of 2x1GB sticks and replace 2x512MB sticks for a
total of 3GB, (it seems some have had a lot of trouble with 3GB), or do I buy
2 sets of 2x1GB sticks and replace all four 512MB sticks?

Since Vista is performing magnificently otherwise, I'm kind of afraid to
mess with it period, but at $40.00 per GB...........it's just awful hard to
pass up!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Larry
Old May 20th 07, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom Lake

Question: I understand that if I install 4GB memory I will not see all of
it. But I still don't understand whether it's being used or not. Is it
that
the OS has reserved the memory adresses above a certain amount and that
much,
(higher), memory is just laying there, or is it that the OS is reserving
that
memory for it's actual use, leaving the rest for application use? If the
latter, that seems to me a good thing.

The amount above what is reported by Windows will not be used unless you
run a special program.

You can read all about it he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Tom Lake

Old May 20th 07, 11:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LarryB

Thanks Tom,

I think I understand now. It's the amount of memory "mapping" my system can
handle that limits how much memory it will take advantage of. My system can
only map 4gb total, and will reserve a certain amount of that for peripheral
and system use, thereby reducing the amount of installed ram that can be
mapped and used.

So the rascal in this scenario is the computer manufacturer, putting four
slots in the case, and telling us that we can install up to 4gb of ram.
Well, we can, but the os can't use it all. :-)

Do you, or anyone, have any suggestions or tips on mixing densities, i.e.
replacing 2x512 sticks with 2x1gb sticks and leaving 2x512 in the other 2
slots, giving me a total of 3gb? Because right now I'm leaning toward erring
on the side of caution and not doing it.

Thanks again for your response and the link!

Old May 22nd 07, 04:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Drew

Larry:....Unless you are going to be running some really intensive programs
then 2 gigs is more than enough to run Vista.....Although I currently run
4gigs I do not really see the difference in speed between that and 2gigs...I
would however try and put the fastest ram that is compatible with your
system.....In other words if you are currently running ddr2 667 and your
motherboard supports ddr2 800 then I would probably go for that......just my
3 cents...........Have a good one