Old December 17th 07, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave_in_WI

Default Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver - On every bootup

Yep, I have the same issue. New Acer computer. Multicard reader under
portable devices had the exclamation point next to it.
Uninstalled/reinstalled driver and it came back up not as the card reader but
as Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver and still with the exclamation
point. It will read the cards (XD, SD, and USB) but it keeps asking for the
driver -- which it shouldn't even need since the OS should recognize it
anyway. Called MS, they said that since my system came with the OS
preinstalled they didn't support it. Called Acer, they said they only gave
hardware support -- great!! Maybe I'll dig out my XP Pro CD and install that
instead!

And now, after installing everything as admin, after I set up a regular user
account, it won't log on. I tried to create a user account and the guest
account, and when I try to log on, it goes to a blue screen and just sits
there. I can ctrl-alt-del and log off and log on under the admin acct okay.

I really didn't want Vista but that is all that I could get with a new PC.
Have had other issues too -- Media player wouldn't work initially because of
a sound card conflict.

From reading other posts, this UPD FileSystem issue is pretty widespread.
Was it caused by some sort of automatic update by MS?

The only "advice" I get from Acer is to restore the system to factory
defaults -- and lose two days worth of installing software??? -- I don't
think so.

Grrr