Extended Tiles - broken - any fix?

Old May 21st 07, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Michael Hainsworth

Default Extended Tiles - broken - any fix?

The "Computer" window used to display as Extended Tiles. It still does, but
the tiles are no longer "extended" -- they don't show the size of my hard
disks or the remaining capacity, etcetera.

My wife's account still displays Extended Tiles correctly, but mine does not.

I love this view! Halp!
Old May 22nd 07, 12:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
dean-dean

Actually, if you look again, you may be the one with the choice for Extended
Tiles, and your wife's View menu just lists Tiles. Your view of Computer is
a corruption of the Computer view's folder template. There are only a small
number of windows that offer Extended Tiles; Control Panel\Manage Wireless
Networks and Control Panel\Sync Center are a couple that I can think of.
Otherwise, in Explorer windows, the look is quite goofy (I think it has some
oblique mention of Offline Files, or something, either in the tile icon
itself, or in the Details pane).

Once your folder views start this sort of corruption, it gets worse from
there. (For example, I've had the Windows folder using a Music Details
template, which can't be changed using Customize, because that tab isn't
available in the Windows folder's Properties, the "Uninstall or Change a
Program" Control Panel using the Contacts folder template (with Import and
Export [contacts] in the Toolbar), just to name a couple of my own folder
view glitches, not to mention the odd Extended Tiles View in Explorer
folders.

Vista is set up to "remember" 5000 folders. That being said, deleting the
following two keys in the registry, will give you a clean slate, and reset
your folders to the defaults. (All remembered folder settings in Windows
Explorer for view state, window position, sort order, column information,
folder type, toolbar toggles, and search result views will be lost, just so
you know what to expect; but any corruption, which indeed does happen, will
also be deleted). The keys in Vista a

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

(right-click on the key BagMRU, in the left pane, and choose delete)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

(right-click on the key Bags, in the left pane, and choose delete)

Log off and log back on to Windows to re-create the keys (done
automatically), and start anew.

"Michael Hainsworth" wrote in
message ...

Old December 11th 07, 03:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Eddie Bishop

Default other ideas

This did not work for me. I tried it several times, and even rebooted. I had this problem a few days ago, and managed to get it to go away for a day. Not sure what I did, but I thought going to Tools-Folder Options and clicking "Restore Defaults" on every tab is what fixed it. However, the problem came back and I can't get it to go away by "Restore Defaults" or deleting said registry keys.... Any ideas?

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old December 11th 07, 04:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
GreenieLeBrun

Eddie Bishop wrote:
This did not work for me. I tried it several times, and even
rebooted. I had this problem a few days ago, and managed to get it to
go away for a day. Not sure what I did, but I thought going to
Tools-Folder Options and clicking "Restore Defaults" on every tab is
what fixed it. However, the problem came back and I can't get it to
go away by "Restore Defaults" or deleting said registry keys.... Any
ideas?

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

What didn't work for you?
It would be better if you followed up in the original thread.

Old December 11th 07, 09:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard G. Harper

EggHead posters are posting from a broken interface, generally only one or
two messages from an entire thread make it here and our replies do not make
it back to them. Sadly, it is often best to just ignore them.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old December 15th 07, 06:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
eddified

Deleting the specified Registry keys did not work for me. I still don't
see the disk space bars in explorer when viewing the hard disks, etc.
The "Computer" view in Explorer has an "Extended Tiles" view available
-- a corruption according to the post I am replying to.

I even tried this:
1. boot into safe mode
2. In regedit, I searched for "BagMRU" and deleted -all- instances of
it until running a registry search for "BagMRU" turned up no results.
And whenever I found a key next to "BagMRU" named "Bags", I deleted it,
too.
3. logged off and back on.

I've searched and searched on the internet, and everyone seems to get
this problem fixed by deleting these registry keys.... but doing so
didn't fix it for me.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks.