Problems connecting USB devices in Windows Vista

Old May 21st 07, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carlos Garcia

Default Problems connecting USB devices in Windows Vista

I have got Windows Vista Ultimate (language: spanish) installed on my laptop
and I am having problems when I try to connect devices using the USB port (I
have got 4 of them).

Synthoms:

I cannot use any device connected to any of my 4 USB ports, because Windows
tells me that it is been impossible to find the appropriate device driver for
my hardware (like a pendrive, a card reader, an external mass storage device).

Steps to reproduce the error:

1. I turn on my laptop, and when I am logged on, I connect the device to any
of my 4 USB ports. 2. Windows informs me that a new hardware has been
found and that it is necessary to find the appropriate device driver and it
gives me 3 options:

a. Search and install the appropriate device driver.
b. Ask me later.
c. Do not show this alert again for this hardware.

3. I select the search and install option, but the search fails informing me
that Windows could not find the device driver. From this point on, none of
the other subsequent options, allow me to use the hardware.

4. I have checked it out with my hardware's manufacturer, if an specific
device driver is necessary for Windows Vista and I have also consulted
compatibility issues with Windows Vista. In any case, they have told me that
the hardware does not require an specific device driver (For example, I
cannot use a simple pendrive).

Does anyone have a solution to this issue?
Old May 21st 07, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Carlos,

Here is a HP site that has some tips for troubleshooting USB connection
problems:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...me=c008201 97

Review the various suggestions to see whether one or more of them works for
you. Post back if no solution is found.
--
freddy

Old May 21st 07, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Don

Carlos Garcia wrote:
I have got Windows Vista Ultimate (language: spanish) installed on my laptop
and I am having problems when I try to connect devices using the USB port (I
have got 4 of them).

Synthoms:

I cannot use any device connected to any of my 4 USB ports, because Windows
tells me that it is been impossible to find the appropriate device driver for
my hardware (like a pendrive, a card reader, an external mass storage device).

Your C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 is probably corrupted and should be
deleted. You will need to edit its file permissions to grant Full
Control to the Users group before you will be allowed to delete it.
Old May 22nd 07, 05:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CDigby

I'm having the exact same problem having just had to do a "clean" install of
Windows Vista. It won't even ignore my devices which don't require specific
drivers (like a Saitek "Eclipse" keyboard) . Any help with Vista's hardware
wizard would be appreciated.

Old May 22nd 07, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carlos Garcia

"Don" wrote:

Carlos Garcia wrote:
I have got Windows Vista Ultimate (language: spanish) installed on my laptop
and I am having problems when I try to connect devices using the USB port (I
have got 4 of them).

Synthoms:

I cannot use any device connected to any of my 4 USB ports, because Windows
tells me that it is been impossible to find the appropriate device driver for
my hardware (like a pendrive, a card reader, an external mass storage device).

Your C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 is probably corrupted and should be
deleted. You will need to edit its file permissions to grant Full
Control to the Users group before you will be allowed to delete it.

I have deleted the INFCACHE.1 file and now everything is working fine.

Thank you very much!