Vista Banter

-   -   5.1 Surround Sound on Vista 64 (http://www.vistabanter.com/47340-5-1-surround-sound-vista-64-a.html)

Dyawlak May 22nd 07 08:47 AM

5.1 Surround Sound on Vista 64

Has anyone got a sound card fully working with 5.1 spearkers yet? I got a
Audigy SE which during tests gives me lovely 5.1 - but because the nice
developers at M$ removed 3DDirectSound nothing else can use them. So I'm
looking for a new board that offers EAX 3 and surround sound 5.1 speaker
system

freddy May 22nd 07 04:26 PM

5.1 Surround Sound on Vista 64

Dyawlak,

It looks as though OpenAL will enable hardware acceleration in Vista,
including 5.1 sound, and Creative is working on it. For a more complete
picture, see the following site:

http://www.creative.com/press/releas....asp?pid=12385

So, it seems that you should be able to get what you want right now with the
proper OpenAL drivers, but perhaps only on a limited basis. I don't pretend
to understand all the ramifications involved in this issue.
--
freddy