DVD Drive failure in Windows Vista

Old May 22nd 07, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bct052207

Default DVD Drive failure in Windows Vista

I have already gone through 4 brand-new notebooks with this error. All 4
notebooks used Windows Vista. The error that I receive when I try to load a
program from a CD is "Windows cannot load the device driver for this
hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have already gone through the troubleshooting section with no help at all.

Could someone tell me why this happened?

Old May 22nd 07, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Smith

"bct052207" wrote in message
I have already gone through 4 brand-new notebooks with this error. All 4
notebooks used Windows Vista. The error that I receive when I try to load
program from a CD is "Windows cannot load the device driver for this
hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have already gone through the troubleshooting section with no help at
all.

Method two here may be of help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Could someone tell me why this happened?

Probably due to some 3rd party software in my case uninstalling DivX caused
the problem.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Old May 22nd 07, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
nancynik

I, too, have this problem. I have, today, started from scratch. Reinstalled
Vista 32, printer, Office Ultimate 2007. Now my DVD player does not work. I
need to install tax software. I'm hesitant to change the registeries.....is
there any other solution? Should I go back to Windows XP??? Please advise.

Old May 22nd 07, 08:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bct052207

Thank you for responding. I went to the link that you provided. From what I
understand from reading the information that solution is based on Windows XP
and it refers to several other codes. It does mention Code 39 one time, but
it does not tell me anything at all. Also, I am very hesitant to fool around
with the registries.

Old May 23rd 07, 02:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Foldes

Well then you have no other options on this one. It is the only way to fix this error. Follow the steps to the letter and there should be no problems. Print it out and follow it. Good luck.

You do have 3 options if you feel you cannot achieve the fix by yourself.

(1) Take it to a certified repair shop and let them do it
(2) Do a clean reformat of your system and re-install your OS
(3) D0 the fix yourself and be over with it.

--
Peter

Old May 24th 07, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dean-dean

Since the Registry keys for Upper and Lower Filters are the same in Vista as
they are for XP, and you don't want to edit the Registry directly, you can
try these tools. Filter Check.zip is the Filter Check Tool, and
FilterCheck.zip is the Filter Detection and Removal Tool. Whichever tool
you use, I would Run as Administrator, by right-clicking on the extracted
..exe file:

http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/post-42599.html