Old September 14th 06, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Muemeister

Default Installing an Application and online patching

Hi there,

I'm really concerned about a special issue referencing third party
application installation on windows vista. Here is my scenario:

- I develop an app and ship it
- A user somewhere installs the app with the given installer (there
he has to confirm installation and the installer installs the app with
admin rights - if I don't confuse that)
- after a while of using the software an online update is available
- this update wants to override DLLs and maybe INIs in the installation
path of the app (example: C:\programs\thirdPartyApp)
- the attempt fails cause it is not allowd to write these files!

What can I do now? I mean, I don't understand what could be written when
and where?
Moreover the app cannot modify INIs after shutting down!!! Imagine, how
should I store persistent data after the program session?

Please give me information on that issue. Moreoever is there a kind of
"rule-table" available summarizing what is allowed and what is
permitted? (Please don't refer to the LUA Bug app, this is not the kind
of information I'm searching for)

Thank You so much.
Chris :-)