disable automatic driver installation?

Old February 10th 09, 11:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
alapic

Default disable automatic driver installation?

jedi51822;963580 Wrote:
I did this but my system still reinstalled the deleted driver (video
driver)
how do I make vista ask before it re installs the deleted driver

I don't know if it's possible to make vista ask....

If your driver has been deleted (you put a check mark in the box) then
I would suggest to go look at the driver properties and see if its a
generic driver from microsoft, you need a driver to see your display. In
that case, I'm sure it will remove the driver when you insall your video
card driver (that would be when you are asked to restart your computer).

If you want to remove your onboard video driver to insall a video card,
you either have to disable your "onboard video" or "enable PCI/PCIE
video" in your bios settings

If you need any extra help give me some more details on what you want
to do.

--
alapic
Old February 10th 09, 01:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jedi51822

my bios does not let me disable/enable pci/pcie video (also tried
updated bios but there is no update) I can get the card working then for
some reason out of the blue my system will look for compatible vga
graphic adapter wich happens to be my integrated grapic driver.

I tried looking through my graphic card manufactor web site for
solutions I have left a message and waiting for a reponse

--
jedi51822
Old February 10th 09, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
alapic

jedi51822;963828 Wrote:
my bios does not let me disable/enable pci/pcie video (also tried
updated bios but there is no update) I can get the card working then for
some reason out of the blue my system will look for compatible vga
graphic adapter wich happens to be my integrated grapic driver.

I tried looking through my graphic card manufactor web site for
solutions I have left a message and waiting for a reponse

you have to disable you onboard graphics. Your bios should have a
setting to disable your onboard graphics.
I might be able to help you find that setting if you can't find it.
What is your mother board model?

--
alapic
Old February 11th 09, 04:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jedi51822

alapic;964301 Wrote:
jedi51822;963828 Wrote:
my bios does not let me disable/enable pci/pcie video (also tried
updated bios but there is no update) I can get the card working then for
some reason out of the blue my system will look for compatible vga
graphic adapter wich happens to be my integrated grapic driver.

I tried looking through my graphic card manufactor web site for
solutions I have left a message and waiting for a reponse

you have to disable you onboard graphics. Your bios should have a
setting to disable your onboard graphics.
I might be able to help you find that setting if you can't find it.
What is your mother board model?

my mother board model is (ktbc51g1f made for gateway bios is from
phoenix award workstation; I tried looking for updates but they do not
have one for vista)
The integrated graphic adapter is nvidia 6100 gpu on the label it says
6100 gpu with available pci-express slot the card I'm trying to keep
working is nvidia geforce 7900 gs like I said; I will get it working
then out of the blue my system will look for availabe display adapter
which is the 6100 gpu.
my bios options are
standard cmos features which has
1. clock settings
2. set which hard drive is slave master (I currently have two)
3. halt on error
Advance bios features
1. removable device priority
2. hard disk boot priority
3. cd-rom boot priority
4. virus warning
5. external cache
6. then I can change boot order
7. security option
chipset features
1. frame buffer size [128m]
2. cpu speed spectrum [center]
3. pcie spread spectrum [enabled]
4. sata spread spectrum [enabled]
5. ht spread spectrum [center]
6. sse/sse2 instructions [enabled]
7. cpu thermal-throtting
integrated peripherals
1. ide fuctions setup [press enter]
2. onchp usb [v1.1 + v2.0]
3. hd audio [auto]
4. mac lan [auto]
5. onboard 1394 controller [enabled]
6. onboard serial port [3f8/irq4]
7. onboard parallel por [3f8/irq7]
8. parallel port mode [spp]
then I have power management option and pc health status

--
jedi51822
Old February 11th 09, 04:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jedi51822

this might also help:
I have not been doing anything to graphical lately just browsing the
internet.
sites like youtube checking my email, running my anti virus software
(mAfee)
letting my computer hibernate while I am at work; I do turn my computer
off at night

--
jedi51822
Old February 11th 09, 11:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
alapic

jedi51822;964574 Wrote:

my mother board model is (ktbc51g1f made for gateway bios is from
phoenix award workstation;

Gateway, that might explain a lot, they usually like to make their PC
hard to service.

What I'm looking for is the manual for your motherboard. do you have a
link to its online pdf file? if not, can you give me the following
details...
If your motherboard is in the original PC, what is the Gateway Model?
and what is the brand of your mother board and are their any dashes or
spaces in the model number-- ktbc51g1f ?

I always prefer to disable things in bios but if that is not possible
you can alway disable the driver from windows by clicking the disable
button in the driver property. Make sure your new video card is pluged
all the way in, you will have to reboot. the only problem whith that is
that you will get a exclamation mark in your device manager, not really
a big deal.
Just like earlier

- click on start (bottom left of desktop)
- right click on "computer" and select properties
- on the left side, just below Tasks, select "Device Manager"
- locate your device, right click it and select properties.
- select the "driver" tab and click disable
stay cool

--
alapic
Old February 11th 09, 01:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jedi51822

my gateway model is media center gt4016 I tried looking through the
manual (I do have a pdf copy) it does not have any information on
disabling devices but I will try to reinstall and see what happens.
thanks

--
jedi51822
Old February 11th 09, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
alapic

jedi51822;964826 Wrote:
my gateway model is media center gt4016 I tried looking through the
manual (I do have a pdf copy) it does not have any information on
disabling devices but I will try to reinstall and see what happens.
thanks

Just did a quick search and your MB is an F. I. C(First International
Computer)... I have to admit that I found it hard to believe that a MB
wouldn't let you disable your OB graphic or Enable a default one. This
one doesn't but on the hand there's the frame buffer size that might do
it for you.
jedi51822;964574 Wrote:

chipset features
1. frame buffer size [128m]

Apparently some mother board will automatically disable your onboard
video if you disable your frame buffer size. Try and see if you have the
option to change it from "128m" to "disable"
Good Luck :geek:

--
alapic
Old February 12th 09, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jedi51822

there is an option to disable frame buffer size, but when I did that I
got no picture and It looks like my computer either freezes on first
boot device which is my cd-rom drive or it tries to look for software.

Had to reset my bios with cmos jumper.
thanks for any other suggestions

--
jedi51822
Old February 12th 09, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
alapic

jedi51822;965862 Wrote:
there is an option to disable frame buffer size, but when I did that I
got no picture and It looks like my computer either freezes on first
boot device which is my cd-rom drive or it tries to look for software.

Had to reset my bios with cmos jumper.
thanks for any other suggestions

After changing the setting did you power off and Plug your monitor
cable in your new video card?

--
alapic