CD-RW and DVD-ROM not recognized in My Computer

Old May 25th 07, 02:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
awhatley

Default CD-RW and DVD-ROM not recognized in My Computer

I've been battling this for over a month now. I've tried removing the upper
and lower filters from the registry. I've tried removing iTunes (like one
person suggested). I can't even reformat and reinstall XP because I can't get
the CD-ROM drive to work enough to read the XP System Restore discs. If I
could I would dump Vista as quick as I could.

No DVD-Rom means I can reinstall Vista Home Premium.

No CD-Rom means I can't reinstall XP.

They worked for a while. Sometimes the computer wouldn't recognize them and
I could reboot and there they would be, but now nothing at all no matter what
I do.

Please help.
Old May 25th 07, 07:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
WBurchnall

Which upper and lower filter did you remove?

There are several upper and lower filters located in different registry
hives and keys.

The one you want to delete which usually makes cd-rom and dvd-roms
properly show up are the filters located in this one he

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

There's also upper/lower filters listed in 'ControlSet003' and 001,
002. So sometimes people accidentally get advised over to internet to
delete the upper and lower filters from the wrong controlset. Try
double checking you deleted them from the registry key I've provided
above.

After, I'd restart. Following that I'd type in devmgmt.msc and click
scan for new hardware and also look for any devices showing in red or
yellow. Sometimes chipset driver issues or ide controller driver issues
with your motherboard could be causing the cd/dvd not be recognized
properly also.

A yellow icon for these would be a good indication. Try removing your
cd-rom/dvd-rom and restarting next.

--
WBurchnall

Old June 13th 07, 02:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
awhatley

Well I deleted the upper filters from that very registry key, but I could
never find the lower filters to delete them in the same key.

Still no luck here. No CD-RW or DVD-ROM showing up in my computer. This all
worked just fine before installing Vista Home PRemium then it started every
now and then. I could fix it at first with a reboot, but that doesn't help
anymore.