Vista Banter

-   -   DVD Drives (http://www.vistabanter.com/48304-dvd-drives.html)

bill May 26th 07 04:41 PM

DVD Drives

Seemingly lots of web traffic about vista not seeing dvd drives. I found a
solution from microsoft. It was the regedit and change filters. This was for
upper and lower. And was most often associated with a speciffic kodak
program. So I did the change and found out the program using upper filters
was dream scenes !! Seems I can modify the filters and use the dvd at the
expense of dream scenes, how about another solution?

freddy May 26th 07 05:25 PM

DVD Drives

Bill,

Are you sure that removing the filters hampers use of Dream Scenes?
Accoring to the information I have, removing the filters fixes a problem
caused by certain 3rd party drivers that burn data to CD/DVD-ROM drives.
Here is what I know:

Many third-party programs that control CD or DVD burning (as well as some
player applications) install CD- or DVD-ROM filter device drivers into
Windows. These filter drivers are meant to allow for low-level hooks into the
hardware, to allow for functions such as packet writing (where a CD-R/W or
DVD-/+RW can be written incrementally, like a hard disk).

These filter drivers sometimes have problems that can cause the CD or DVD
drive to stop working correctly. The device entry for the CD or DVD drive in
the Device Manager may show up with an error descriptor that reads "The
device could not start." Additionally, there may be an error message that
reads "One of the filter drivers for this device is invalid." The devices
themselves do not show up in Explorer. Error codes for the device include
code 31, code 32, code 19 or code 39, and sometimes the even more ominous
warning "Your registry might be corrupted" appears.

Fixing the problem simply involves deleting the filter entries for the
third-party device drivers.

Could you reference the information you have? We could probably learn
something.

Thanks,
--
freddy