After add in 1 gig memory Vista boot up slow and black screen.

Old May 27th 07, 10:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bec664

Default After add in 1 gig memory Vista boot up slow and black screen.

I just bought a DELL E521 PC with 1 Gig ram DDR2 5300 , decided to add 1 Gig
more memory DDR2 4200 where from the old system, after install Vista boot up
slow and black screen. After removing it no problem. Tested the system only
run at 1 Gig, do I need to reinstall to recognise the ram.
Old May 27th 07, 11:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Neil Harley

Bec664 wrote:
I just bought a DELL E521 PC with 1 Gig ram DDR2 5300 , decided to add 1 Gig
more memory DDR2 4200 where from the old system, after install Vista boot up
slow and black screen. After removing it no problem. Tested the system only
run at 1 Gig, do I need to reinstall to recognise the ram.

Bec664

you need to install the same type of RAM.
Old May 27th 07, 11:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bec664

Thanks Neil, but I'm a bit confuse here where if I mixed the memory at the
first pair with 5300 and 4200 memory it work fine, also the bios recognize
the memory. I just woder do I need to reinstall. I have tried all combination
and the system only recognize 1 Gig.

Old May 27th 07, 12:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall MVP

You should always try to match memory, some boards do not like working with
differing memory specs..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Old May 27th 07, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

As each successive Windows operating system is released the stress on the
RAM is increased - due to the way the RAM is utilized in the new O/S. Vista
uses the RAM much more aggressively that Windows XP did. Windows XP was a
lot more aggressive with the RAM than Windows 98 etc.

What worked with a prior operating system may not necessarily work with
Vista. You need matched RAM. By matched, I do not mean one stick of PC4200
RAM from Kingston and one stick of PC4200 RAM from Crucial. Get two sticks
of RAM from the same manufacturer, preferably - during the same purchase.
This way you can "almost" be assured that they are from the same batch, from
the same lot - and manufactured on the same day.

Also, buy your *PREMIUM* RAM from a manufacturer such as Corsair or Crucial.
If you use their memory configurator to select the RAM you will be
guaranteed that the RAM has been tested to work in your computer with your
specific motherboard. The above two companies have lifetime warranties. If
you have any problems just place a call. I have received a replacement
before I ever sent the old RAM back. Their service is superb.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User