How can I automate sound device selection? (speakers vs. dock)

Old May 28th 07, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
CJSnet

Default How can I automate sound device selection? (speakers vs. dock)

Hi, I have a VAIO laptop which has 2 sound devices shown:

1. Speakers / Headphones (SigmaTel HD Audio CODEC)
2. Digital Output Device S/PDIF (SigmaTel HD Audio CODEC)

This is pretty simple - when the laptop is undocked I want it to use its
spakers (1). When it is docked I want it to use the docking station's
S/PDIF (2).

Yet at the moment I have to manually go into Control Panel Sound, select
the device each time I dock/undock, and click Set Default.

Surely there is an easier way? I'm sure XP used to at least attempt to
switch automatically.
--
Thanks,
CJSnet

Recommended:
* http://search.superhighstreet.com - Finds anything or they pay!
* http://www.superhighstreet.com & http://www.oxfordstreet.com - Beat the
crowds with Virtual Streetscapes

[remove 'teeth' to e-mail me]

Old May 29th 07, 12:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
freddy

CJSnet,

Your needs sound as though they could best be addressed by a forum devoted
to sound issues. There may well be a way to do what you want, but that
accomplishment likely will require knowledge in sound issues rather than in
Vista issues. Perhaps there is a sound card, or some external gizmo that can
do what you want, but I just don't know. Try using google to locate a forum,
or other source (sound card manufacturer?) to help resolve your issue. Just
some thoughts. I don't know of a way to do what you want by using Vista by
itself.
--
freddy

Old May 29th 07, 12:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Buellpilot

Have you looked at setting up Hardware Profiles?

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/win...iles-in-vista/

Old May 29th 07, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
CJSnet

Thanks, that's an interesting idea. The only spanner in the works is that
the SigmaTel audio driver has only one device driver, which covers both the
laptop speakers, and the S/PDIF docking station output, so if I disable the
device then I get neither.

And then there's the small matter of not knowing which service can
enable/disable sound using hardware profiles :-S

I love the fact that Vista is recognising that the laptop is 'docked' or
'undocked', all I need is for it to switch audio outputs depending on which
state it sees.