Stuck in 800x600 with 4bit color with 8800 gts!!

Old May 29th 07, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Default Stuck in 800x600 with 4bit color with 8800 gts!!

Chris,

I did a little looking around on my personal computer, and decided that one
way to get started on troubleshooting your issue is to look at the Vista
report titled System Information. It contains a section showing conflicts
and sharing. You've likely seen this report, but in case you need a reminder
you find it as follows: click on Start All Programs Accessories System
Tools System Information. Unfold Hardware Resources and highlight
Conflicts/Sharing. In the right pane will be displayed all IRQs and what is
using each.

I thought this would be a good starting point, rather than hunting through
Device Manager. Even so, I'm not there so you likely can tell better than I
about how to proceed. Eyes on the ground are the best. Just some thoughts,
because I said I'd be back with some poop from group. lol Let me know how
things are proceeding.
--
freddy

"Chris" wrote:

Hmmm we are getting closer! haha. The only problem is that I think those
instructions were written for Windows XP...there is no Troubleshoot option in
the general properties tab of the device. Is there any other way of doing it?

"freddy" wrote:

Chris,

OK, I see in your clarification comments that you indeed have tried all the
standard methods for installing a video driver. So, I did another read of
your original post and noticed something I overlooked befo Code 12.

I did a search and found a Microsoft explanation of how to resolve a Code 12
error, as follows:

Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want
to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this
system. (Code 12)

Recommended resolution

Two devices have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or
the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating
system, or a combination of the two). This error message can also appear if
the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device (for example, if a
universal serial bus (USB) controller is not an interrupt from the BIOS
because of a corrupted Multiprocessor System (MPS) table).

You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable
the conflicting device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click
Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

In other words, I looks as if you have an IRQ conflict. Go figure. Hope
this helps. Let us know how this turns out.
--
freddy

"Chris" wrote:

Well I tried pretty much all of those ideas...One thing I noticed is when I
uninstalled the drivers the device manager would just say standard vga
adapter then I would restart the computer and it would show up with 8800gts
with a specific driver version...and this is before I even went to install
the latest driver set. Then I install it and I have the same problem.

So then I tried unistalling the drivers and then installing the new drivers
without restarting the computer. The device manager now lists the correct
driver version but the problem hasnt been solved.

I tried to follow the installation instructions on the nvidia site but it
doesnt match up. The instructions say that when i double click the driver
package its gonna load up...then detect any previous drivers and prompt me to
remove them. When I load it up none of this happens...It completely skips the
uninstall process.

I tried the standard VGA mode thing but vista doesnt have that option...it
says safe mode..etc etc. and then "Enable low-resolution video (640x480)" So
I selected that.

Im gonna try driver cleaner again (I tried using that program before I
posted here)

Thank you very much for all your help guys...but I am still stuck haha

"freddy" wrote:

Chris,

A likely explanation for your situation is that the video card drivers
didn't install. Even if your power supply is insufficient for your needs,
that fact shouldn't keep the drivers from installing. Too little power
supply would likely manifest itself in a crash of some kind. Device Manager
should disclose more information as to what the problem is, apart from
displaying a yellow (!), In Device Manager, unfold Display Adapters and
right click the video card entry and select Properties. What information is
displayed? Look in the Drivers tab, and note any information provided there.
Is there any corrective action suggested? Try selecting the option to
Update Drivers. If you've installed the drivers, they are there somewhere on
your hard drive. You want Windows to search automatically, including on your
hard drive.

Maybe you're missing something in the instructions for installing the video
card drivers. Review them, understand and follow them exactly. Also, Look
in Control Panel Add/Remove Programs for an entry for the video card
drivers and uninstall everything there so that you will be able to start over
and do a fresh install. Installing video card drivers can be tricky. It's
often been the case that video card drivers won't install properly until all
former video drivers have been removed. If you can't find an option to
uninstall the drivers before you install them again, you can download
DriverCleaner, a free utility that will remove them for you. A google will
find a download site.

Moreover, video drivers oftentimes won't install unless the computer is set
to standard VGA mode, which is 640 X 480. You can get into standard VGA mode
by pressing F8 during reboot after POST but before Windows starts loading.
If you miss that point, just do it over until you get it. When this
procedure works, you will get a screen displaying various options. Select to
boot in standard VGA mode, press Enter. After booting into standard VGA
mode, install the drivers you have ready to go. Do this after you have
completed all the above steps in the previous paragraphs. You're now getting
down to the nitty gritty.

If all this fails, try finding an nVideo forum. A google will find lots of
them. An nVideo forum will have lots of nVideo users who have plenty
experience in installing nVideo cards. A good place to get tips. Finally, I
can assure you that installing drivers for that card is doable. If it worked
in XP, then that's a good sign.
--
freddy

"Chris" wrote:

Why does it work perfectly when I have windows xp installed then? I was
playing STALKER for a while on xp and all was fine.

"Captain Roberts" wrote:

Your power supply could be the culprit. The EVGA 8800GTS eats power.
"Chris" wrote in message ...
Hey all...I have been so frustrated the past few days. I just set up my new
computer a few days ago. I installed windows xp and everything worked
perfectly...I then used the vista upgrade that i got free when i purchased xp
(it was a deal on newegg a few months ago) Vista installed fine but I have
been stuck in 800x600 with 4bit color.

I have installed the latest drivers several times, both in safe mode and
regular. I downloaded all the windows updates...i even installed the latest
nforce 570 drivers. I have reinstalled vista several times and I am still
having the same problem. I spoke to EVGA tech support 3 times and they dont
know what the problem is.

The device manager has a exclamation point next to the 8800gts. It says
"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"

I am about ready to give up on Vista completely. Please let me know what you
guys think.

Here is the info on my comp

AMD 64 x2 4800+
Shuttle sn27p (case and motherboard)
EVGA 8800GTS 640mb
2gb Corsair xms series ram

Old May 30th 07, 04:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris

Well I spent about 3 hours on the phone with microsoft tech support and we
went through pretty much everything. Finally we ended up flashing and
updating the bios with the new version off the shuttle website. It finally
worked after that.

The graphics are working beautifully now...which I am very happy with!

The only problems that remain.....The computer is not properly shutting
down (the monitor turns off, the power light on the computer goes off...but
the fans are still running...then when I turn it back on it says windows did
not shut down properly...its really strange.) and the headphone port on the
front makes a strange crackling/interference noise. I am beginning to get fed
up with shuttle.

Anyway...thank so much for all your help Freddy, it is truly
appreciated..the internet needs more people like you! haha

-Chris

Old May 30th 07, 10:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Chris,

Wow! These issues certainly can be tough to diagnose and fix. Like the
Microsoft excerpt I posted yesterday said, the problem can also be caused by
the BIOS. It's hard to focus on all those statements. Anyway, the problem
is mostly fixed. Three hours on the phone!! You know, many computer
problems are caused by bugs and issues apart from the operating system, but
guess who gets the blame? Yup, you guessed it.

Now to the remaining problem with the shutdown. My first approach on that
issue would be to examine the Vista error report found by clicking on Start
All Programs Maintenance Problem Reports and Solutions. Look around in
that report for clues regarding the problem and the corrective action. You
might get lucky.

If you find nothing there, make sure your BIOS Power settings are set
properly, on the theory an improper setting there could interfere with Vista
power management. I recall that in BIOS, S3 is the proper setting for Sleep
mode, but who knows for sure. Just something to check. Your ideas are
likely as good as mine. Older computers can have issues because they're
behind the times in their configuration, but OK in their day. Another area
to check is the power setting options in Control Panel Power. Just dig
around and leave no stone unturned.

Now on to the problem with the sound. Again check the settings in Control
Panel Sound. If all else fails, suspect a driver problem with the sound
card/chip. Start that approach by looking in Device Manager under Sound
video and game controllers. What is the name of your sound card/chip? Is is
properly supported as a legacy device? Again you just have to dig around,
tough. Been there, done that. You can also google around the Internet for
solutions. Let us know how this turns out.

freddy

Old May 30th 07, 12:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Chris,

Here is better guidance on troubleshooting sound problems:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f42d21033.mspx

Working on it.
--
freddy

Old May 30th 07, 01:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Chris,

Here is a link on how to troubleshoot shutdown issues. The publication
applies to Win2K, but a lot of this stuff is the same and/or similar, and at
least provides some comprehensive guidance on how to go about it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.../?sd=RMVP&fr=1

I couldn't find anything like this written specifically for Vista. It'll
come in due course.
--
freddy

Old May 30th 07, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris

Hey Freddy,

Im gonna try some stuff...I will let you know what happens!

-Chris

Old June 1st 07, 05:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris

Well I think I got the power problem fixed....the speaker input on the back
of the computer works fine but the headphone port on the front still makes
noise, it gets worse when the hard drive spins faster or the processor is
under a heavier load. Ill keep trying to troubleshoot it. Thanks again for
your help Freddy!

-Chris

Old June 1st 07, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Chris,

I'm tracking this. Glad to hear that you're almost home. Good work, whew!
--
freddy