Manualy set screen Resolution?

Old July 28th 07, 04:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
blgreens

Default Manualy set screen Resolution?

right click desktop...select properties.....select desktop....make sure it
doesn't say stretch....change it to center...then use size adjustments for
the screen itself
Just a thought
"freddy" wrote:

Wakachan,

The only other wild and crazy idea I can come up with it to install the
latest video card drivers available from either the website of the
manufacturer of the laptop or from the site of the manufacturer of the video
chip (ATI, nVidia, etc.). Since you have a techy friend, you can get some
help since doing that can be tricky.
--
freddy

"Wakachan" wrote:

I know what you mean. Granted that it's "technicaly" at the right resolution,
it should be correct. But the distortion is pretty clear. Anything that
should be a square, like my msn icon, certain windows, blocks of any kind,
are rectangular in shape.
I miss the good old days when you could manually change the screen size with
one of those turn-y type knobs. Lol. That was way back in my grade 6 year ;p

I have a friend who works at Futureshop, and most of my friends are techies
anyway. Mabye I can grab some help from them, too :3
But I appreciate all your hard work. It was a great effort!

"freddy" wrote:

Wakachan,

Maybe you'll get used to it. Just kidding. I'm fresh out of ideas.
There's no good reason that I can think of to explain what you're telling me.
Are you sure the look isn't as good as before? I give up. Anyone else?
--
freddy

"Wakachan" wrote:

That kind of made some text on screen more blurry, and some more solid.
The screen is sill a tad stretched though.
This is craziness; I've never had a problems with my computer like this :[
I really appreciate your help, though :3

"freddy" wrote:

Wakachan,

I'm fast running out of ideas. All the settings you have are proper, so why
doesn't the screen look good? I don't know. Wait, try the following: Right
click on the desktop and select Properties (just like before), but then
select Window Color and Appearance (top), and in the window that opens,
select Open classic appearance properties for more color options (bottom).
Then select Effects, and make sure Clear Type is selected (OK your way out).
Post back.
--
freddy

"Wakachan" wrote:

It is set to 32 bit.
Also, to 96 dpi.
I also restarted to see if it would have an effect. It' didn't
"freddy" wrote:

Wakachan,

OK, I have no way of knowing to what you're resolution is set. Is it set to
32 bit? Post back. We'll keep trying until something good happens. lol
--
freddy

"Wakachan" wrote:

Freddy,
Thanks for your reply!
I have already set the resolution back to 1024 X 768. I still have that
weird blurry stretch on my screen, though.
Is there another option?
Also, I could not find a 'list all models' drop down, or button under
'Advanced'.

"freddy" wrote:

Wakachan,

You're on the right track, in that you're looking in the right area. The
native resolution of the laptop is 1024 X 768 ( looked it up). Set the
resolution to that and the display should then appear normal. If the slider
doesn't provide that resolution, click on Advanced and select List All
Models, and then select the resolution from there. Click OK and let Windows
do its thing. I don't know what went wrong, either, but setting resolution
is easy. If this doesn't fix the problem, post back.
--
freddy

"Wakachan" wrote:

Today I had to hook up my laptop to a powerPoint Projector to show a project
in school, but after I had finished, and had removed the projector, I noticed
my screen resolution was all wonky. The screen size was much too large for my
monitor, and I had to drag my mouse down the screen to find the Start bar. I
managed to change the resolution somewhat back to normal under
properties/settings and screen resolution. But the screen still seems kind of
stretched and blurry, horizontaly.
I have no idea what could have caused this problem, but I was hoping to see
if I could manualy change my screen size, like in the good old days
Does anyone know a way to do this?
FYI: I have an Acer Aspire 3000, with Windows XP Home Edition.