Error message display driver igfx stopped responding

Old May 31st 07, 02:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mx32004

Default Error message display driver igfx stopped responding

I can play World of Warcraft on vista, however the game will stop working for
a slpit second, ramdomly. Then when i exit out vista gives me and error
message say the display driver igfx has stopped responding and that it has
recovered. What is the problem, please help
Old May 31st 07, 10:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Mx32004,

This most likely is not a Vista issue. Vista uses a technology called VPU
Recover (Visual Processing Unit Recover, if memory serves) that keeps your
computer from crashing when it has a problem. Instead of the system
crashing, like it did in former versions of Windows , VPU Recover keeps the
system up and running. That's the idea anyway. Sometimes it crashes anyway,
depending on the severity of the issue involved.

Therefore, this is a problem in your system, and the recovery you're seeing
is only the symptom. It's usually a symptom of a hardware conflict of some
kind. Figuring out just what kind and eliminating it is the challenge.
Causes include incompatible hardware along with incompatible drivers.

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take to help identify the
problem. Start by examining a Vista report that logs problems and recommends
solutions. To look at the report, click on Start All Programs
Maintenance Problem Reports and Solutions. Look through the report and
note any issues therein and focus on the corrective action recommended in the
report.

Another step is to search for incompatible drivers installed on your
computer. Do this by clicking on Start and then on Run. In the space
provided, type sigverif.exe and click on OK. This app will search your
system for unsigned drivers and list them. Not all unsigned drivers cause
problems, but some do. You have to use a process of elimination to pinpoint
the bad guy.

Report back on what your find.
--
freddy

Old March 25th 09, 05:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
rogue009

freddy;2892982 Wrote:
[...]

Hello,

I have the same problem too. I run the file sigverif.exe and it listed
these stuff:
-dsproct.sys
-kl1.sys
-klif.sys
-lvprcmon.sys

Those were the ones listed, can anyone help me plz thx

--
rogue009
rogue009's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/84967.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 31st 07, 03:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steph

I am getting the same message on my computer too...I have an unsigned driver
it seems..Now what? I used the help thing on Vista and when they asked if it
was helpful, I said no..Because it doesn't tell you how to fix an unsigned
driver..I don't even know what that is, let alone fix it..And how do you get
it signed???? Does this mean I will always get a Black screen when I play
WOW????
Old May 31st 07, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

What video adapter do you have? Vista x86 or Vista x64? Have you gone to the
manufacturer of your video adapter and searched for the latest video adapters?

Old May 31st 07, 04:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Steph,

Here is a short course on what a signed driver is: Microsoft has a program
whereby vendors, like ATI, nVidea, IBM, etc., who make hardware and software
to run on Windows are asked to submit their drivers to Microsoft for
confirmation that they work properly. When Microsoft confirms that the
drivers work properly, it designates that driver as signed (by Microsoft as a
good driver). Like, they signed off on it.

An unsigned driver doesn't mean it's causing a problem, but it could be
because Microsoft hasn't verified that it works properly. That's what you
have to figure out. Sometimes it's easy because the name of the driver
sometimes will have a name that indicates what device is using it. For
example, ATI video cards often use drivers that are include the letters ATI,
like this: atitool.sys (actual example). Others aren't that easy. One thing
you can do it use google to search the Internet using the name of the driver
by which to search.

The error report I mentioned in my prior post should disclose the program
and the driver that's causing the problem. Understanding what that report
says in a matter of becoming familiar with it. You can also use google to
search on error report terms to find information about what those terms mean.

What do you do after you determine which piece of hardware/software is
causing the problem. Basically you have two choices. You can remove the
offending trouble maker, or you can update to a current version, which often
fixes crash problems. To do this, you also will need to do research to
figure out what the alternatives are. The vendor of the offending
hardware/software is a good source of information. It can be confusing. You
can participate in a forum where these type issues are discussed and
resolved. Just some thoughts. Others may have additional comments about
this. All are welcome.
--
freddy

Old June 6th 07, 12:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Benindetto

I think I have found a solution to a problem that plagues many players!

I too have been having a problem where about three mins after logging into
WoW the screen goes black for 4-5 seconds, and then continues to do so every
30 seconds or so.

Here are my system specs.

GTW GT5412
OS: Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 1.80Ghz
Ram: 2038MB
Video Card: Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family.

I read all over on the internet trying to fix it, and everyone said to
download the 02/04/07 drivers from intel.com but every time I would run the
installer it would tell me they weren't made for my computer.

Here is how I eventually got it to work.

Step 1:
Download the 02/04/07 drivers from Intel (Version # 15.1) Put them somewhere
you'll remember. (Desktop)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filt...eng&sType=prev

Step 2:
Go to [Start - Control Panel - Security - Turn automatic updating on or
off (Under Windows Update) - Select "Check for updates but let me choose
whether to download and install them.

Step 3:
Go to [Start - Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Device Manager -
Tell Vista to Continue - Display Adapters - Right-click and uninstall your
current drivers.

Step 4:
Restart your computer. When Vista opens you will get a message that it is
installing "VGA adapter drivers"

Step 5:
Run "winvista_151" (Driver installer you downloaded earlier)

It should work - and if it comes up with a "Unknown error" than just try
running the installer again.

It worked without a hitch for me, and for my girlfriend's computer too. Hope
it works for all you guys too!

Lemme know how it does for everyone, okay?

-Benindetto (Lvl 61 Dwarf Paladin ~~ Kilrogg)
Old October 17th 07, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Funny1979

Hi Did you still have the problem???
I have same problem 2, I ask HP come to fix it several times and
replace the motherboard. But still have the same problem.

Afterwards, I try to remove the Ram, because i use two different brand
ram, when i use only 512mb ram to run the pc. the problem solve.

--
Funny1979
Funny1979's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=33164

http://forums.techarena.in

Old November 8th 07, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
carn

i do agree that you need the igfx driver from 2/7/2007, however, with
the hp pavillion/compaq presario computer you need to restore to the
original factory settings(it willset it to the original set up date,
bfore the extra igfx driver was installed). before hp sent out your
computer they installed a new intel graphics media accelerator on top
of an old one, so you end up with two of the same programs fighting
over the same space. check to see how many intel graphics drivers you
have on windows defender start up programs. you might notice that you
have two. so restore original factory settings, but do remember to set
your windows update so you can choose what/when to install.
-----Original Message----- From: Date:
11/01/2007 13:33:02 EST To: HP Support Cc: Subject: Compaq Presario
SR5010NX Desktop PC e-mail support
hp e-mail support
language_code : en language : English Country of Residence : United
States product_line : 6J product_oid : 3377251 product_name : Compaq
Presario SR5010NX Desktop PC part_number : RZ537AA purchase month : 9
purchase year : 2007 problem area : hardware serial number : CNH71301Q8
operating system : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 64 Is your
computer unable to work with accessory products? Please select all that
apply. : other Can you hear sound from the connected speakers? : yes
Does the display on the music center appear to be working properly? :
no Have you connected the music center to your TV, DVD or music system?
: no error message : IGFX driver has malfunctioned but has recovered
problem description : when you put this set up together you installed
the intel graphics media accelerator for the intel chipset that was
also installed. however there is not enough installed system memory for
the installed driver, there is only 512 mb but the intel gma requires 1
gb of installed system memory. this can't be considered normal
practice, can it? as a consumer i was very disappointed to bring home
my brand new computer and find out it doesn't work properly right away.
now, i consider myself to be somewhat geeky as a rule,but how is it for
the average joe who doesn't speak geek? is he supposed to figure out
this problem with what info is available currently on the internet? how
can intel be responsible for this problem when you did notmeet their
sytem requirements? i would like some resolution of this issue. first
name : caryn

and they said...

Dear caryn and kevin,
Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.
It is unfortunate to know that your system reporting "IGFX driver has
malfunctioned but has recovered" error message and I see that the
pre-installed memory is not supporting to work with pre-installed
graphics card.
You are right. I can understand your frustration. We assume this latest
issue is due to any update from Micorsoft.
Thank you very much for bringing this issue to our notice. This is a
new issue. After being discussed with our research team, we came to
know that this is a new error message noticed recently. Our research
team is working on this issue.
In the mean time, I request you to run Recovery manager to reinstall
graphics card drivers. Please open the following link and perform the
steps recommended in the HP article:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

I see that your sysetm BIOS is allocating 8MB memory for integrated
graphicscard. Out of total system memory, your system video memory is
using 32MB as shared video memory.
I request your patience and time. I could send the resolution to your
email address as soon as we find the resolution. I request you to
contact HP Total Care for further technical assistance.
Sincerely, SofieHP Total Care
***Do Not Delete Service Ticket Number*** {ticketno:[8004531855]} ***Do
Not Delete Service Ticket Number***
Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on
the information provided to us. HP does not assume any responsibility or
liability for the advice given and shall not be liable for any direct,
indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages in connection
with the use of this information. Always back up your data. For more
information, including technical information updates, please visit our
Web site at http://www.hp.com/support.

so i said...

Date: 11/01/2007 20:24:48 EST
Subject: Compaq Presario SR5010NX Desktop PC e-mail sup

ok, i noticed that i pressed the wrong operating system, i have 32 bit
windows vista home basic. also, there isn't a graphics card installed,
i have integrated graphics on the motherboard included in this model.
windows does provide the latest update for the intel gma. however, when
uninstalling as recommended first before reinstalling, the
driver/software doesn't completely uninstall as there remains a gui in
the additional options on the control panel in windows vista. if this
is in the hp setup corehow are we to access as the program is not
available to change/uninstall. also the intel chipset on this
motherboard is listed as no longer being supported by intel, nor was it
supported when this model was released. do you plan on responding with a
newer chipset?
more ram? yes, i can be patient, but this seems to be a defect that is
unnecessary, as it was caused by using something produced long before
vista became generally available, i understand they can't be expected
to support their products forever, but i have also noticed this problem
connected with the pavillion as well.thank you,caryn

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 19:30:03 +0000From:
ubject: Compaq Presario
SR5010NX Desktop PC e-mail sup

and they said...

Hi Caryn,

Thank you for writing back to us.

From your mail, I understand that you were not able to uninstall and
reinstall the graphic card drivers.

I greatly appreciate that you have forwarded your isssue and have given
us a chance to assist you with this matter. I imagine how tiring the
situation could be.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you in this regard and I would
like to inform that at HP we strive for customer satisfaction and it is
our constant endeavor to provide enhanced services to our esteemed
customers. Nevertheless, there are always exceptions. I sincerely
apologize for the inconvenience this issue is causing you.

You are right when you say that your PC motherboard has integrated
graphics. As you say that the drivers are not getting completely
uninstalled, I request you to try to uninstall the drivers in safe mode
and then try reinstalling the drivers.

I would like to inform you that as HP Compaq PC's are shipped with OEM
version of hardware and softwares, updates and assstance will be
available from HP.

As said earlier, the particular issue which you are experiencing is a
new one which is encountered in all types of PC's irrespective of the
configuration and model and the research teams at Microsoft, Nvidia,
Intel,AMD and HP are working to find the exact cause and its solution.
But as of yet no particular resolution is unavailable. But soon the
solution will be worked out and once that is done a patch or update
will be available with HP in the Software and driver page of your Model
and we will also mail you as soon as the solution is available.

The information provided should be useful to you. If you need further
assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist
you further.

Sincerely,

Marcus

Subject: Compaq Presario SR5010NX Desktop PC e-mail
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 14:18:51 -0800

dear marcus and sofie, i would like to recap the situation if i may.

1. the original issue: this model, as sold, only has 512mb of installed
ram. this model's hardware requires 1gb of ram. you did not include
enough ram on this model to even have it run properly.

2. the intel graphics media accelerator will not completely uninstall.
not in safe mode, as an administrator...or the other ways explained
from a myriad of resources. regardless of all efforts, the general user
interface for the driver set up , as well as the igfx driver, still
remains in the hp set up core which cannot be removed without
completely reformatting.

now, these were my two general complaints, both of which are directly
related to construction and set up of this model...from hp.

i am aware of the general furor over " the igfx driver has stopped
responding, but has recovered" error that is driving everyone crazy.
but my complaints are directly related to the construction and set up
of this model. caryn

and then i said...

Sent: Wed 11/07/07 6:20 PM

dear marcus and sofie, i have solved the "igfx driver stopped
responding but has recovered" problem with this model, but the
installed ram is still insufficient with your current setup
configuration. caryn

hey, the drama is supposedly over as i have no more problems with this
error...yay! good luck, carn

--
carn
carn's Profile:

Sent: Wed 11/07/07 6:20 PM

dear marcus and sofie, i have solved the "igfx driver stopped
responding but has recovered" problem with this model, but the
installed ram is still insufficient with your current setup
configuration. caryn

hey, the drama is supposedly over as i have no more problems with this
error...yay! good luck, carn

it's me carn, i meant to say 11/28/2006 is the driver for hp/compaq
computers running with 512 of ram all else requires at least 1
gb...please dont' e-mail me...please...carn