Vista Business - DVD CD Rw ~ Not reading

Old June 1st 07, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Comer B

Default Vista Business - DVD CD Rw ~ Not reading

I apologize for posting out of spot on another post ~ So here is my situation.

The Dvd rom is recognized under Computer with a current drive letter ( E: )
but it has a red circle with a slash over the actual icon of the Drive. When
i right click and view properties the device shows that it is working
normally ~ HA ! ~. When i view the device under the Device manager option ~
It shows working properly / no conflicts and under the Auto play option The
Auto play is selected and w/ the appropriate programs per usage.

Under another thread i read that there maybe an instance of an upper / lower
filter being the problem. I did edit the registry to remove the upper filter
as well as uninstall the actual program that placed the filter. I have also
uninstalled the device driver and rebooted the comp. Still the problem
persists. I also have tried to reboot with a disc in the drive - but still
to no Avail.

Any other ideas?
Old June 1st 07, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Comer B,

Hi Commer B. Here are some comments that should help make some progress
toward resolving this issue. First let me say that upper and lower filters
installed by burner software don't always produce problems. Some burner
software and versions of burner software are buggier than others. Those
filters are a problem only when your system gives your an error that
indicates it's a problem.

Here are some steps to take to troubleshoot your issue:

First, the red circle with a slash affixed over your CD-ROM drive (in
Computer, formerly My Computer?) likely suggests the device is disabled. The
problem is in finding out why. Try this:

First, look into a Vista report that logs errors. Click on Start All
Programs Maintenance Problem Reports and Solutions. Peruse the report
looking for errors logged and focus on solutions suggested in the report.
Vista logs errors, and hopefully it will disclose something to help pinpoint
the problem in this case.

Second, look at the Vista report called System Information. Again, Click on
Start All Programs Accessories System Tools System Information. In
that report, unfold Hardware Resources and look around (Conflicts/Sharing,
etc.) looking for information to help us out. Also look under Components
(like Problem Devices) to help determinie what is causing the problem for you.

Post back with anything you find.
--
freddy

Old June 1st 07, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Comer B

Hey Freddy, Thanks for your response. But the weird thing is ~ that there
are no conflicts in the system information area - and when I choose the cdrom
/ dvd =
Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type UNKNOWN
Name LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S ATA Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device
ID IDE\CDROMLITE-ON_DVDRW_SHW-160P6S________________PRS2____\5&359D8DE&0&0.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.0.6000.16386, 65.50 KB
(67,072 bytes), 11/2/2006 4:51 AM)

And there are no errors logged that seem to have anything to do w/ the dvd
player. I have a few internet explorer hang ups and thre awtray hang ups but
no device problems.

??

Old June 1st 07, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Comer B,

You forgot to provide one piece of information I asked for. I need to know
what is listed under Components Problem Devices in System Information (see
prior post). Please read carefully and respond accordingly. Until then, I'm
researching for possibilities. See you later.
--
freddy

Old June 1st 07, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Comer B,

I've finished researching your issue. I don't have a firm answer that would
fix your situation. But I think that something, like some piece of software,
some system control, or whatever, is disabling your CD/DVD-ROM drive. You're
locked out! I don't know why. I suggest that you review what you have
installed on your computer and uninstall anything you can reasonably conclude
could likely cause a problem, or anything where you don't really know what
it's doing. Examples would include CD/DVD ripping programs designed to copy
CDs or DVDs with copy protection, specialized utilities that read system
sensors, etc.

Non Microsoft services that you have installed that run in the background
could cause a problem, or anything else that only you could know that you
have installed. From a distance, I have no way of knowing what you have.
In the app msconfig you can view all services that are running on your
system. To run msconfig, click on start Run type msconfig.exe press OK.

The only other things that you could do include the following:

Try booting the computer into Safe Mode (press F8 repeatedly after POST, but
before Windows), and delete all the CD drive(s) under Device Manager, then
restart in normal mode. Windows should re-detect the devices. For some
reason, Safe Mode sometimes works better than deleting something while
running in regular mode. Having Windows redetect the drives "from scratch"
may resolve the issue, but don't count on it.

You may have inadvertently reversed a cable or set your Master/Save switches
incorrectly on the CD/ DVD ROM drive. In either case, open up the PC again
and make sure the hardware is set properly.

Make sure there is not disk stuck in the drive.

In Device Manager, check the Properties of the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
Note any information that could indicate a problem.

Outdated firmware sometimes can cause problems. The firmware for youre
drive is he

http://www.liteonit.com/global/index...per&Itemid=154

Try posting your issue on some other forum, or seek the advice of some
technical expert. I'm not a technical expert.

Take your computer to a shop.

If you can't get it to work, new drives are cheap these days. Replace it
with a new drive and be done with it. However, if something is locking you
out of your drive, it may lock you out of a new drive as well. Let us know
what happens. That's all I have.
--
freddy

Old June 1st 07, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Comer B

under the Components Problem Devices in System Information nothing is
listed. I have never opened the case so I don't believe the switches are off
~ i just opened the case and everything is properly set. but i did try to
use the eject button when i right clicked the device in computer and it does
say that it is in use by another program. So I will try to uninstall
everything i can. and I will update the firm ware.

Thanks again for your help. I will keep you posted in case someone else
has a similar problem.

Old June 1st 07, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Comer B,

You just posted new information. That is, the CD-ROM drive is in use by
another Program. Let's work on that idea. Right click the task bar and
select Task Manager. Under the Applications tab, look to see what programs
are running. Close down those that shouldn't be running to see what happens.
In the meantime, I'll do dome research on the message. Post back on what
happens.
--
freddy

Old June 2nd 07, 12:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Comer B,

I've been researching and have found instances where Nero has cause people's
CD/DVD-ROM drives to display the red circle with a line through it and
provide the message the the drive in in use by another application. Did you
have Nero installed? If you did, there could be some remnant of it causing
this problem. Perhaps it's a registry entry that's doing something to cause
this to occur. Try a registry cleaner just to see what happens. Download
the free cleaner called CCleaner, He

http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=1.39.502&l=1033

Download, install and run it. It's easy to use. Just use the default
settings and let'er fly. Let me know what happens.
--
freddy

Old June 2nd 07, 01:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Comer B,

Hold off on doing any of the prior suggested troubleshooting steps until
this last idea is acted upon.
--
freddy