Vista Home Premium 32 bit OEM Anytime Upgrade to 64 bit

Old June 1st 07, 09:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Ntelguy

Default Vista Home Premium 32 bit OEM Anytime Upgrade to 64 bit

Ok,

I've been researching this and have found alot of convoluted answers but
none that really answers the question.

I have an OEM Vista Home Premium DVD. The disk says it includes anytime
upgrade but it also says it only contains 32 bit software. If I want to
upgrade (By upgrade I mean clean install to 64 bit but using anytime upgrade
to do it) do I need to purchase the 64 bit anytime upgrade disk which
microsft provides for the cost of shipping or can it be done from my current
installation disk. The anytime upgrade disk purchase site says: "Windows
Anytime Upgrade discs are available in 32 and 64-bit.
Note: Your upgrade disc must match the current system type of the computer
you want to upgrade. 32-bit upgrades are only valid for 32-bit systems and
64-bit upgrades are only valid for 64-bit systems. "
But if you want to "Anytime Upgrade" to 64 bit from 32 bit and your OEM disk
says it only has 32 bit software on it, do you need to purchase this 64 bit
upgrade disk ... or is it not even possible to "Anytime Upgrade" OEM 32 bit
Software to 64 bit and does it require the purchase of the full upgrade
software. Everything I've read about "Anytime Upgrade" makes it seem that it
should be possible (with a clean install) but its the fact that my
installation disk says it only has 32 bit software on it that is confusing
me. I've also read that all installation disks are the same and contain all
the versions of windows 64 and 32 but if this is true why does my disk say it
only has the 32 bit software on it.

Thanks

Old May 8th 09, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Bulbs

Ntelguy;222245 Wrote:
[...]

I have the same question. I spent half my day trying to come up with an
answer and only come up with: CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR PC THAT
CAME WITH VISTA PREINSTALLED. I went to the eMachines web site and did
not find any information regarding the free upgrade from 32 bit to 64
bit Vista. If anyone out there knows the answer please advise.

thank you

--
Bulbs

Old May 9th 09, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Ricky[_4_]

the link is somewhere in microsoft VISTA upgrade links, just keep
looking there at microsoft.......I found it......Had to pay 9.95 for the
64 bit version DVD they delivered by mail.It took about 7 days to get it
after I ordered it.

Old May 9th 09, 10:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Man-wai Chang On +MS=V32B

You could do a clean install by choosing Custom install during setup.
After the first installation, repeat the process again. Then you have a
clean 64-bit Vi$ta.

google "vista upgrade dvd clean install"

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.29.2
Old May 9th 09, 01:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Curious[_4_]

Ntel....,
Vista installation disks are either 32 bit or 64 bit since a single DVD
disk does not have the capacity to hold both versions.
The retail installation disks contain all versions of Vista and the key
determines which version Home, Home premium, Basic, or Ultimate gets
installed.
Anytime upgrade provides the ability to purchase an upgrade key for the
version you have. For example if you purchased a retail Vista 32 bit basic
disk and want to upgrade that installation to Ultimate you can use anytime
upgrade to upgrade your installation to Vista 32 bit ultimate.
Separately you can order from MS the Vista 64 bit installation disk and use
it to install Vista 64 bit basic instead of 32 bit Vista basic using your
original product key for about 10$
If you purchased a retail Vista Ultimate both the 32 bit and the 64 bit
installation disks come in the package with a single product key. The other
versions come with only the 32 bit installation disk.
AFAIK if you have a system that came preinstalled with Vista 32 bit you can
not purchase the 64 bit installation disk from MS for $10