!!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB

Old February 3rd 08, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
philo

Default UR NOT going to believe this !!!

"danix803" wrote in message
I called MS about the problem. I was so frustrated after calling DELL and
posting my Vista Ultimate backup nightmares all over the internet. I

decided
to call the MS help line. I was willing to pay $59.00 of my hard earned
dollars to have someone figure this out for me.
That didn't work either. They connected me to someone named Ashish
(1057602498). He told me that MS does not support Vista Ultimate Complete

PC
backup. However, he said that he would try to help me anyway. In order for
him to help me I had to move backup set from my C: drive back to my ext
backup HD (B: drive). This was going to take over 45 mins. I told him that

would have to call him back, because I was not going to wait on the phone

for
45 mins with nothing to do. He said okay and we disconnected.

snip

You sure wasted a lot of time and money.
Instead of trying to beat a dead horse and use a backup system that's never
been known to work
properly...you could have purchased a backup application (such as Acronis)

It would have cost you less than calling tech support...
and would have saved you hours of headaches

Old February 3rd 08, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Actually I can believe it! I wish people would pay me $59 to read off a
prepared script and knowledgebase article. Chance would be a fine thing:-)

Seriously you should have had to call MS it is Dell's problem. They supplied
the OEM copy of Vista and they are responsible for supporting that PC 'and'
the operating system. However, I have to agree with Philo's post regarding
backup software. The backup software that comes with Business, Ultimate and
Enterprise I seriously lacking and I will not use it. If you want something
to do the job then use Acronis True Image. That's the one I use and the one
I will continue to use.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

reliability or content of this mail/post.

"danix803" wrote in message
I called MS about the problem. I was so frustrated after calling DELL and
posting my Vista Ultimate backup nightmares all over the internet. I
decided
to call the MS help line. I was willing to pay $59.00 of my hard earned
dollars to have someone figure this out for me.
That didn't work either. They connected me to someone named Ashish
(1057602498). He told me that MS does not support Vista Ultimate Complete
PC
backup. However, he said that he would try to help me anyway. In order for
him to help me I had to move backup set from my C: drive back to my ext
backup HD (B: drive). This was going to take over 45 mins. I told him that
would have to call him back, because I was not going to wait on the phone
for
45 mins with nothing to do. He said okay and we disconnected.
The file finished moving over. I figured that before I called him back I
would try one more experiment. I did one more complete PC backup, so that
could compare the two backup sets.
This is the part that you are NOT going to believe. When I compared the
two
backup sets all the files were in different locations. My first backup set
had NO, that rights ZERO, files in the computer's name folder.
I rearranged all the files from the first backup set in the identical
pattern of that established by the second backup set. I rebooted the
comptuer
and BANG, CRASH, BOOM... F8 - repair system - complete system restore...
if
found the backup sets...

My new moot question is... why would MS Vista Ultimate put my very first
backup set into the wrong folders??? I mean none of them were in the right
places... and all I did was drag them (entirely in the thier folders) from
one drive to another... I never moved any of them individually...
Second moot question... MS told me that DELL signed an agreement with them
stating that they would provide all the technical support for the products
that they bought from them, aka Vista... so, why doesn't DELL provide
technical support or any support for Vista Ultimate backup and restore???
Isn't that breaking thier agreement??? Why doesn't either of these
companies
offer support for this product??? or at least why are they telling me that
they don't???
--
Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or
proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. 1 Corinthians 13:4 - 8, 13

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

Multiposted and answered in other groups . Not to the OP's liking but
given.

--
Peter

"Lowered Expectations"
wrote in message
I was on RC1 and on Beta before that. Several days before the RC1
timeout I
did make the required set of backup disks, to save all my programs,
images
and other records. The disks do have the data on them.

Last night I did the VHB (upgrade) clean install.
PROBLEM: I cannot run the backup disks.

"Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\."

Well, I sure can find backup on F:\. by looking at "computer", drive
F,
where it contains disck one of "WindowsImageBackup". 4.3 gb of data
on
that first disk.

Vista Home Basic's restore says it cannot find the data.
What is wrong? I've lost my virtual life if I can't regain my data.
I did everything just as they and it asked. No go. Am ruined if
Vista's
paid version has locked me from by property.

Can anyone give me repair tips?
I can obtain and share screenshots of anything that might be of help in
diagnosis.

--
Hapless, nonproficient, long-time windows user.
Nothing ever seems to work out of the box as promised.