Old January 19th 08, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Default Vista x64 Ultimate (OEM version) on Dell D820

Nonsense. The manufacturer is not going to list drivers for x64 just on the
chance a customer might upgrade a cpu. They are listing drivers for the
machine in factory condition. Show me a Core 2 Solo, Duo, or Quad that is
not a 64-bit cpu. Only the Core Solo and Duo are not 64-bit.

"Tom Lake" wrote in message

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
Then why does Dell list Vista x64 drivers for the D820? I never heard of
an Intel Core 2 Duo, Centrino or otherwise, that was not 64-bit. Where
did you get the info that this machine was not 64-bit capable?

Go to

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...sors/index.htm

and you'll see that Intel Extended Memory 64 (Intel EM64T) is NOT a
feature of the T2500.

Dell includes 64-bit drivers because a 64-bit capable CPU is optional in
the D820.
Unfortunately, you didn't get one of the higher-end processors.

Tom Lake