USB Mass Storage Device Driver

Old June 14th 07, 04:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GrayPM

Default USB Mass Storage Device Driver

Bit late in replying but..

On checking Device Manager, Vista reports no drivers loaded, error 28.

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
E0000203

So the possibility of Vista telling me what file is missing is NIL.

All my other USB devices work properly, printer, scanner and a Viking Flash
Drive.

Vista has also lost my restore points so I cannot go back. As to software
and hardware that may or may not have stopped the USB device being recognised
I have no idea.

I have been on to a copule of retailers of these devices and as far as they
are aware this problem should relate to the 64 bit version of Vista AND the
manufactures are thinking of realeasing some drivers in the distant future,
so looks as if I will have to use my drives on XP only.

Intrigued that this conversation is also available via egghead.cafe! okay it
might be of help as other might join in.

Current feeling is that a lot of external hardware is not Vista 32 or Vista
64 compatible even though fully compatible with XP and both the manufacturers
and Microsoft are not rushing to solve the problems.
--
Gray
Old June 14th 07, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
undsoft

Hi all.
I had the same problem - after plugging a usb device (i've tested 3
flash drives), Vista asked for a driver. At the same time, all devices
that had been connected to a computer previously worked fine.
Deleting infcache helped me.
The file is located in windows/inf/. You'll need do give yourself full
control to a file (Right click - properties - security - edit -
type "adminiastrators" - select "Full control"). I've deleted a file,
then rebooted, then plugged a device, then opened Device Manager, found
nescessary Unknown Device and reinstalled drivers.
Hope, it'll help you too.
Good luck

--
undsoft
undsoft's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26730

http://forums.techarena.in

Old June 17th 07, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GrayPM

After following all the advise etc, which may be of use to others, I think I
have a form of answer to my problem basically as I now have my USB devices up
and working with Vista.

My problem seems that I have been using Vista for sufficient time and
installed so much that the Vista USB drivers became corrupted and lost. With
my posts I followed all the advise and got nowhere, so decided to try a
'System Recover - System Tools, but found that this was also corrupted. I had
two options, complete re-install the other [which I fortunately have] is
recover an image - Ghost 12. Using Ghost I was able to go back in time -
about 4 months and thus found that Vista recognised my old USB drive and now
the new U3 drives! Okay was a bit of a hassle to reinstall software but at
least I had quite a bit of software on the image file.

During my search I was told of U3 incompatiblity, well yes there is but most
manufacturers are posting updates, so no worries there.

My advice now, is use System Tools, System Recover, and go back in time, or
get a back up of your computer - Acronis or Norton Ghost. Otherwise you may
have to do a full re-install.
--
Gray

"GrayPM" wrote:

Until recently my version of Vista (Home Premium edition 64 bit) recognised a
Samsung Flash Drive, now for some reason it doesn't. At same time other USB
Memory Devices (Kingston U3 DataTraveler 2Gb) stoarge devices. With all these
devices when I install the unit Vista recognises them, installs a driver and
then tells me that a file is missing and thathat the installation is stopped
- and thus I cannot use the device. I have contacted Kingston and they told
me about 2 possible solutions - tell Vista to go to System32 etc and to go to
c:/Windows/Inf and remove INFCACHE.1; as it might have got corrupted, which
I have duly done. Still the devices are not recognised or the file is still
reported as missing. Kingston haven't got back to me since I reported the
failure although they did promise to (now 4 days).
From my searching on this Group and via the web this seems a common problem
(solved by above??) any one suggest another 'work around', I have even tried
getting Vista to recognise these devices as other brands.
--
Gray

Old July 27th 07, 12:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jorge Luis

Default Solved for me..

That was it!

I had the exact same problem! A Sandisk Cruzer Micro 2G and some others, Cruzer never was completly recognized and after safely removing my laptop became hanged up, other flash memories failed to be recognized either because of drivers.

I follow some of your solutions in this way:

* Use U3 Launchpad removal tool, from Windows XP box to completly remove the "tool" and all documents, just i case (no need to format)
* Remove "infcache" file as undsoft recomends, using it all: security config and all.

Thats it, restart Vista and every usb flash memory is working ok now, thanks to all in this thread, it help me a lot!!!

Jorge Luis

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old September 24th 07, 12:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jimmy

Sorry Freddy, but I have done this (U3 removal) and still the same problem. As Gary said, there's a lot of Vista users complaining about this problem. I'm ready to fling Vista out the window and go with a different OS. Too many glitches with Vista. Another problem I'm having with Vista is out the blue it no longer will recognize my USB devices (mouse/keyboard) and the only way out to hit the reset button. No help from Microsoft or the vendors for the above problems. Thankfully I have another computer that still has XP on it and it runs rock solid.
jimmy

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old September 24th 07, 12:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jimmy

Sorry Freddy, unistalling U3 does not resolve this problem. I've tried just about everything. This is definately a Vista problem along with quite a few others. I'm also having the problem of Vista all of a sudden (with computer on for several hours) not recognizing USB devices (mouse/keyboard). Only way out of this is ti hitt the reset button. Thankfully I have another computer that still has XP on it. Runs rock solid. If Microsoft don't come out with a service pack for this OS soon I'm going to fling the thing out the window. To me it seems that Vista is turning out to be a Windows Me.
jimmy

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old September 24th 07, 02:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John

I have trouble with USB devices not responding, too. Usually, the standard
fix works: to unplug and plug it. Keep your speakers up and it makes a down
sound for unplug and an up sound for plug.

But some devices only work in the USB jacks that are part of the
motherboard. My USB mouse will only work there. My Flight Simulator CH
Yoke and Pedals are also there, since they rarely work when I first start up
FSX. I still have to plug/unplug them. Occasionally my USB printer goes
south. I have to unplug the power cord and replug it. Maybe some of these
things can help you as a workaround until they get these problems worked
out.

For me, the early problems offset the nice features and power of Vista and
the devices that are new with Vista.

John

Old November 11th 07, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cole Sampson

i had such a hard time with this problem, and i searched all over the internet for a solution, and finally, after many hours, found one...

you plug in your usb mass storage device, and you try to install the driver, and it gives you this:

"Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while
attempting to install it.

USB Mass Storage Device

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and
check the support section for driver software."

the problem is a missing inf file, and this site explains very simply how to resolve the issue...worked amazingly for me

http://teknobabble.wordpress.com/200...er-a-solution/

hope it helps you too

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old November 12th 07, 06:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GenxBear

If anyone is having problems with USB Mass Storage not showing up on
their Vista PC or laptop, and has recently installed a Netgear SC101
NAS, try to uninstall the SC101 management utility & reboot. I did, and
it fixed my problem. I had Windows XP on 1 laptop, and Vista on another.
I waited to upgrade to Vista on the XP machine due to no Vista driver
for the SC101. They finally came out with a driver in October ‘07 so I
took the Vista plunge & installed the latest Vista drivers & management
software for the SC101 on both Vista laptops. Then later I noticed that
Vista would recognize the external USB drive, but the drive letter did
not show up. After about a month of looking for a solution, I finally
found this suggestion, and it worked. So I thought I’d share the
knowledge in case anyone else has this piece of crap Netgear SC101
installed. It has been a nightmare to use, and after I copied all my
data on it for a backup, I lost it all.

--
GenxBear
GenxBear's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=34827