Display Drivers

Old June 9th 07, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Default Display Drivers

Thanks, but it is not listed.
I wonder how the nVidia driver is able to correctly identify and configure the
monitor (FPD2185W).

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Rob Norton" wrote in message
Cal Bear '66 wrote:
NOT true, not at all true.
I have a Gateway widescreen LCD monitor. Gateway says that an inf file is
not provided and is not necessary. Under Device Manager my monitor is
identified as a Generic PnP Monitor, yet the nVidia graphics driver
identifies my monitor by the correct brand and exact model and automatically
sets the native resolution and refresh rate.

Here's what you need to do. In device manager select "update driver
software". Then "browse my computer for driver software". Then "Let me pick
from a list of device drivers on my computer". You'll see the model shown as
"Generic PnP Monitor". Now, uncheck the "show compatible hardware" box and a
full list of monitors will show (including Gateway's). I know this is
illogical, but it works!

Old June 9th 07, 11:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

All,

I'm going to add all these facts to my long list of things I know but don't
understand.
--
freddy

Old June 10th 07, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Captain Roberts

"freddy" wrote in message
"Cal Bear '66"

Good to know. There must be the equivalent of an .inf somewhere in the
hardware then, not? Curious minds want to know.
--
freddy

There is. It is the standard PnP inf file for monitors.

Old June 10th 07, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

A specific .inf file is not needed if the display provides the OS with its
information via EDID.

Old June 10th 07, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Thank you.
Good information.
Clears it up now for me.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old June 10th 07, 07:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carlos

Me too.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

Thank you.