UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)

Old June 18th 07, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dave R.

Default UAC in Vista Home Premium (hmm... no secpol.msc)

"Ruben" wrote in message
Although dtweak is really cool, it has an all encompasing message
silencer...
I would like to be able to silence messages for specific programs. I
am
getting the feeling like nothing exists that can do this (I am not
even sure
if secpol.msc can do this because I dont have it... can someone
confirm

seccpol.msc can't do it on a per-program basis either. It is all or
nothing.

this?)... mostly I am just really annoyed that the help files point me
to a
program that doesnt exist. Did they just forget to add it?... Were
they not
able to get it to work properly on premium so they just left it out?!!

No, it is one of their (in my opinion, misguided) artificially
introduced "differences" between the Home and non-Home versions of
Vista. Their thinking is apparently that no Home user would ever need
to adjust security policies (or use group policies, or join a domain,
etc.). Rubbish.

Regards,

Dave

Old June 18th 07, 06:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jon

"Ruben" wrote in message
From what I have read, secpol.msc does not exist in vista home premium. I
would really like to set certain programs to be "elevated without
prompting"
so that I do not have to see the prompt every time, but all the help files
point me to secpol.msc. I have read about ways to do this, but I would
really
like to avoid directly messing with the registry. Has Microsoft released
anything to help with this problem and I just cannot find it? If not, are
they planning on fixing this?

*Officially* there is no secpol.msc in Home Premium. This is true.

--
Jon

Old June 19th 07, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Spirit

You can put UAC into SILENT MODE :

http://www.tweak-uac.com/

"Ruben" wrote in message
Umm... When I posted this message there was an error... so it is
incomplete... please read the complete one...

"Ruben" wrote:

As it says in my previous post, I do NOT wish to disable UAC.
Also, I am not getting a "CONTINUE" question... I am getting a
"Allow/Cancel" message...

"brink" wrote:

Ruben,

You can go to this link and scroll down a bit and do this section:
DISABLE UAC FOR ADMINISTRATORS ONLY:

http://tinyurl.com/2velpl

Instead of turning UAC off completely, this way acts like the group
policy in Vista Ultimate by "elevating priviledge without prompting".
It leaves UAC on for Protected mode in IE7 and for Standard user
accounts, but it will no longer ask you (Administrator account) another
"CONTINUE" question again. Unless of course you reverse this.

http://tinyurl.com/2velpl

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.

Old June 19th 07, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
ruben

Thank you everyone for the information! =)

(I still think UAC should be a bit more customizable though...)
Old December 14th 07, 03:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
pRose_DC

'Disable Annoying Vista UAC popups with TweakUAC (free!)'
(http://www.tweak-uac.com/)
The above link claims to have the answer but I don't want to fill my PC
with more apps, I'd rather have the OS answer. Like you I run Home
Premium. I imagine that this is how MS will get a number of users to
upgrade. It's worth a few bucks to be rid of the annoyance, I imagine,
is the reasoning. Seems wrong to me. I'd like to avoid the prompt when
using familiar programs such as Yahoo Messenger and adobe products. I
hope someone can answer honestly if the annoyance can be avoided with
Home Premium without the upgrade and without a third party application.

--
pRose_DC
Old December 14th 07, 04:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
brink[_2316_]

pRose_DC;544186 Wrote:
'Disable Annoying Vista UAC popups with TweakUAC (free!)'
(http://www.tweak-uac.com/)
The above link claims to have the answer but I don't want to fill my PC
with more apps, I'd rather have the OS answer. Like you I run Home
Premium. I imagine that this is how MS will get a number of users to
upgrade. It's worth a few bucks to be rid of the annoyance, I imagine,
is the reasoning. Seems wrong to me. I'd like to avoid the prompt when
using familiar programs such as Yahoo Messenger and adobe products. I
hope someone can answer honestly if the annoyance can be avoided with
Home Premium without the upgrade and without a third party application.

Hi pRose_DC,

That program elevates the Adminstrator privilege. This tutorial will
show you how to do this for Vista Home Premium in Method Two without any
3rd party programs.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/80...ege-level.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old December 19th 07, 07:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Niggiebro

pRose_DC;544186 Wrote:
'Disable Annoying Vista UAC popups with TweakUAC (free!)'
(http://www.tweak-uac.com/)
The above link claims to have the answer but I don't want to fill my PC
with more apps, I'd rather have the OS answer. Like you I run Home
Premium. I imagine that this is how MS will get a number of users to
upgrade. It's worth a few bucks to be rid of the annoyance, I imagine,
is the reasoning. Seems wrong to me. I'd like to avoid the prompt when
using familiar programs such as Yahoo Messenger and adobe products. I
hope someone can answer honestly if the annoyance can be avoided with
Home Premium without the upgrade and without a third party application.

If you haven't already done so... *there is another way! ! !*

Click on the old Vista Start Logo All Programs Accessories
Command Prompt, and right click on the Command Prompt and select "Run As
Administrator", then click to open, then type: net user administrator
/active:yes then "Enter", then type: exit to close Command Prompt.

Now log off and login as Administrator and that's it you'll have all
the Administrator promissions without all that annoying popup. PLus the
UAC is still enabled, just that now you have *FULL CONTROL!*

It may be a real good idea at this time to rename and set a password to
the Administrator account to what ever you like and delete that old
account you setup with!

Real easy and so much for disabling the Administrator Account!

--
Niggiebro
Old February 14th 10, 04:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
securify

I really appreciate all the discussion here, especially some really
efficient postings by Shawn. But can someone please answer my concern
here ?

I am a Vista x64 home premium user. It is also true that I can disable
all my UAC annoyances very easily as described here in the forum several
times. But it is also true that as of now, I cannot access secpol.msc
and can't monitor my local security policy :cry:. This is a part of some
weird microsoft differentiation. Why is that so ?

Let's get specific :geek:. For example - I want to actually see how
the domain in my policy is acting. Let's say I wanna change the "UAC:
Behavior of elevation prompt for standard users" policy.

How would I do that without secpol.msc ? Is there a tweak which allows
me to access the "local security policy" without actually messing up
with the registry ?

Really appreciate your reply.

--
securify

Old February 14th 10, 11:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_3_]

"securify" wrote in message

[...]

You've got Vista 64 Home Premium joined to a domain?