Corrupted jpg files - Anyone else see this?

Old June 20th 07, 04:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Michael Price

Default Corrupted jpg files - Anyone else see this?

On my Vista Ultimate machine I create a number of jpg files. They are around
200k each. The thumbnails and files display fine. I copy the files to my
W2K3 server and they still display fine on my machine.

When my wife tries to look at the files, both the thumbnails and viewing the
files in Windows photo viewer shows corrupted images. The corruption ranges
from parts of the image missing showing grey, or with lines in it. This
persists even if we copy the images to her machine.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks

Old June 24th 07, 08:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Greg

YES!!! Several times. See my other posts to several microsoft forums.

Vista file handling, especially over networks, is really nasty. I am now
afraid to copy stuff over the network. It appears to be a problem with
something called 'permissions' and is especially troublesome with USB
devices connected via networks.

I have a Vista laptop connected to my wife's desktop running XP. The desktop
is connected to an external HD by a USB port. When I copy photos from my
camera (Olympus) connected to the USB port of the laptop, via the network to
the USB HD connected to the desktop using Windows Gallery or even just by
folders, it strips the jpg markers from the files making them unreadable.

I also have found that when I import Olympus photos via Windows Gallery even
direct to the laptop, it doesn't corrupt the whole file like it does over
the network, but it still overwrites the Olympus markers that tell the
Olympus photo software that the picture is part of a panorama, thus
rendering it unable to be stitched by the Camedia software. When you look at
the files in a text editor, you can see that amongst all the hexadecimal
rubbish the english words such as "Olympus Camera" etc have been replaced by
things like "Windows Gallery" and the name of the folder you imported to.

Vista file handling is a bad joke. I advise no one to import photos using
Gallery. It's just not safe. And certainly don't use it from USB devices to
other USB devices via a network because it WILL CORRUPT YOUR JPG FILES!

Greg

Old July 28th 07, 02:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
tewkes

Greg --

Please let me know what you find out on how to fix this. I'm having the
identical problem and I'm upset that I may lose 33% of the photos I've taken
the past 8-9 years if this can't be fixed. Even when I take the external
drive and put it on my XP system, all files are corrupt now from XP.

Kris

Old July 28th 07, 07:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Greg

Have found out absolutely nothing from MS help. Will let you know if I do
find a fix.

The only sure solution I have found so far is to use Adobe Album to import
and manage the pictures instead. DO YOU HEAR THAT MICROSOFT? Your product
you made to compete with Adobe is forcing people INTO their arms, not away
from them! If anyone from MS is listening, it's in your own best interests
to fix this fast.

Old July 28th 07, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
tewkes

Thanks for the response, but importing to another program is not an option
for me. The files are all corrupt and my HD that had the originals is dead
and I cannot recover anything from it.

Please keep me posted and I will do the same.

Old November 20th 09, 06:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Rick Gotner

Default Vista Corrupting jpg files

I lost over 3,000 out of 54,000 photos on a 1 TB usb drive. Fortunately, I had another drive as backup that only got 2,000 files corrupted, and most were different files. This happened several times after I first got a Vista machine several months ago. It finally took me a day to re-integrate the two sets of files to get one complete set.

I am a member of MSDN (Microsloth Developer's Network) and am an IT Manager and Systems Analyst. The most basic, fundamental thing an OS should do is not destroy files. I scoured the MS forums, and the MSDN forums and found this issue has existed since Vista was released, and that the OS was released even though they knew this problem existed. 3 years later, they have still not figured out the cause, nor any way to recover the files. (this directly from MicroSloth development team)

I installed Linux on my machine in a dual-boot configuration, and found myself returning to Vista for a week or two until I was sure of Linux's capabilities. I haven't opened Vista in over 3 months now, and don't miss it one bit. What a useless heap of garbage peddled by MicroSloth.

Right now, if I wanted to log into Vista, I'd absolutely make sure I unplugged all my external hard drives prior to doing it. I don't want to have to do that, and would kind of like to have access to my friggin files if I log into that OS. I have a free "upgrade" certificate for Windows 7 now, and am curious if anyone knows if this issue affects that OS too?

tewke wrote:

Thanks for the response, but importing to another program is not an option for
28-Jul-07

Thanks for the response, but importing to another program is not an option
for me. The files are all corrupt and my HD that had the originals is dead
and I cannot recover anything from it.

Please keep me posted and I will do the same.

"Greg" wrote:

On Wednesday, June 20, 2007 12:20 PM
Michael Price wrote:

Corrupted jpg files - Anyone else see this?
On my Vista Ultimate machine I create a number of jpg files. They are around
200k each. The thumbnails and files display fine. I copy the files to my
W2K3 server and they still display fine on my machine.

When my wife tries to look at the files, both the thumbnails and viewing the
files in Windows photo viewer shows corrupted images. The corruption ranges
from parts of the image missing showing grey, or with lines in it. This
persists even if we copy the images to her machine.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks

On Sunday, June 24, 2007 4:15 AM
Greg wrote:

YES!!!
[...]

On Friday, July 27, 2007 10:46 PM
tewke wrote:

Greg --Please let me know what you find out on how to fix this.
Greg --

Please let me know what you find out on how to fix this. I'm having the
identical problem and I'm upset that I may lose 33% of the photos I've taken
the past 8-9 years if this can't be fixed. Even when I take the external
drive and put it on my XP system, all files are corrupt now from XP.

Kris

"Greg" wrote:

On Saturday, July 28, 2007 3:28 AM
Greg wrote:

Have found out absolutely nothing from MS help.
Have found out absolutely nothing from MS help. Will let you know if I do
find a fix.

The only sure solution I have found so far is to use Adobe Album to import
and manage the pictures instead. DO YOU HEAR THAT MICROSOFT? Your product
you made to compete with Adobe is forcing people INTO their arms, not away
from them! If anyone from MS is listening, it's in your own best interests
to fix this fast.

"tewkes" wrote in message

On Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:38 PM
tewke wrote:

Thanks for the response, but importing to another program is not an option for
Thanks for the response, but importing to another program is not an option
for me. The files are all corrupt and my HD that had the originals is dead
and I cannot recover anything from it.

Please keep me posted and I will do the same.

In-Memory Data Caching for Performance
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...aching-fo.aspx