Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

Halo 2 Asking for disk everytime I finish the Quarantine Zone

Old June 21st 07, 01:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Kefner

Default Halo 2 Asking for disk everytime I finish the Quarantine Zone

Everytime I finish the Quarantine Zone level, and the cut scene plays where
the brutes shoot you off the edge, it comes up with a message "Please insert
your original Halo 2 disk". What I have done so far is uninstall/reinstall
of Halo 2, no luck. Decided I could use a fresh install of Windows anyway,
so reinstalled that, and then Halo 2, still no luck. Figured maybe there was
a problem with my disk, returned it to the store and exchanged for a new one.
Again, did a fresh install, played through to this point, and get the
message at the same point. I don't even get an option to do anything but say
ok, and it takes me back to the main menu. I've tried playing with and
without the disk in the drive. Inserting the disk only when it asks, and
ejecting and closing the drive, and it will not do anything with the disk,
even though it asks. I have tried everything I can think of, 2 installs of
Vista, and multiple fresh installs of Halo 2, and still no luck!
Old June 21st 07, 01:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
CVScorp

Kefner,

This is happening to me and many others as well. I thought that maybe since
I got my CD early from Circuit City before the recall that the files on the
CD are corrupt. Since you said you returned yours for a new copy that might
not be the case. Whatever the problem is Microsoft needs to put out a fix
since this is not an isolated problem.

Old June 21st 07, 06:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy

"CVScorp" wrote in message
Kefner,

This is happening to me and many others as well. I thought that maybe
since
I got my CD early from Circuit City before the recall that the files on
the
CD are corrupt. Since you said you returned yours for a new copy that
might
not be the case. Whatever the problem is Microsoft needs to put out a fix
since this is not an isolated problem.

Not isolated to my system. When you say "many" others, do you mean everyone
that's having the problem and posting about it online? Because that's
usually a lower percentage than you think it is.

Old June 21st 07, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Kefner

Well the thing is, when I got a new copy, it has the "sticker" on it warning
of partial nudity, so it is probably still one of the first runs. I guess I
will just hold off and see if the next patch fixes this. Im tired of trying
to figure it out. If anyone can help though, please let me know.

Keith

Old June 21st 07, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy

"Kefner" wrote in message
Well the thing is, when I got a new copy, it has the "sticker" on it
warning
of partial nudity, so it is probably still one of the first runs. I guess
will just hold off and see if the next patch fixes this. Im tired of
trying
to figure it out. If anyone can help though, please let me know.

Keith

The "Nudity" in Halo 2 was some guy showing his ass in an error screen on
the map editor. Other than that there's no difference between the 2 versions
of Halo 2 PC. You might want to poke around the Bungie forums.
(http://www.bungie.net/forums/topics.aspx?forumID=2) maybe someone has a fix
posted. I looked, couldn't find one in the first 2 topics I looked at, but
people are talking about the problem.

Don't think a patch is planned right away, you could be waiting a while, and
the patch might not address your problem. Might as well keep pluggin away.

-a.

Old June 22nd 07, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Chris Hagler

This is a common problem and has been posted on the Halo 2 Vista forums.

The work around is....start your game up in campaign mode, and SELECT LEVEL.
I believe the next level is called GRAVEMIND or something like that...

Now you can finish the campaign.

Later...

Old June 23rd 07, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy

"Andy" wrote in message
"CVScorp" wrote in message

Not isolated to my system. When you say "many" others, do you mean
everyone that's having the problem and posting about it online? Because
that's usually a lower percentage than you think it is.

I take it back, second time through I got it. I think it has something to do
with Live for Windows. I wasn't logged in the first time. Well ain't that a
bitch. Damn doesn't Redmond test their crappy titles.

Old June 23rd 07, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy

"Chris Hagler" wrote in message
This is a common problem and has been posted on the Halo 2 Vista forums.

The work around is....start your game up in campaign mode, and SELECT
LEVEL. I believe the next level is called GRAVEMIND or something like
that...

Now you can finish the campaign.

Later...

Odd, didn't work for me, was giving me errors, like your achievements don't
match what's on windows live and it won't let me play the next level, only
one it'll let me do is the level like 2 parts back. weird.

Anyone know if there's a forum post at bungie.net about this? I couldn't
find anything.

Old June 25th 07, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
RiverDog

Do this. It worked for me.

"Because the insert disc message appears at the transition between two
levels, you can start the new level and abandon your previous checkpoint.

To do this:
1) Restart Halo 2
2) Select Campaign
3) DO NOT select continue, select to choose the level
4) Find the latest level and start it, skipping over the transition between
the level before it and that which seems to cause the problem"

Regards

RiverDog

Note: Achievements will not be lost through this fix, so don't worry