Old February 22nd 08, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
wjclerk

Default MMC could not create the snap-in

Problem:
When attempting to access several admin tasks via the MMC console, the above
error occurs. The snap-ins (non-third party, standard come-with-vista, not
part of the 2003 admin pack) a

Event Viewer
Task Manager

MMC snap-ins that do work:
Computer management
Local security policy
Print Management

What I have attempted to solve the problem:
Remove and re-add the snap-ins for Event View and Task Manager in MMC.
Result: "MMC cannot initialize the snap-in. Name: Task Schedule.
CLSID:FX:{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4]
Same results with a different CLSID for Event Viewer
I have confirmed that the registry keys do exist and the System and
Administrator have full control on them. They appear fully populated.

Ensure I have the minimal version of the .Net framework for MMC 3.0.
Result: In my Microsoft.NET\Framework directory, I have
v1.0.3705
v1.1.4322
v2.0.50727
v3.0
The v.2.0.50727 is supposed to be what MMC 3.0 needs to run.

Verify services are running:
Event viewer service is running as is task scheduler. I am unable to stop
task scheduler's service and event viewer has a dependency on it.

Appropriate administrator permissions
I am the sole administrator on the machine and have disabled UAC until
problem is resolved so all of my prompts are elevated.

Run the system file repair tool at the command prompt.
No notice of errors, no apparent fix after completion.

Attempt to run repair from Vista installation DVD:
Vista is installed on a RAID striped controller. I was able to install to
it, but Vista installer does not see it in installed versions of vista.
Repair is not an option. Have tried to run various raid drivers (and I can
see my c: drive from the PE command prompt, but nothing has detected my Vista
installation.

Run the registration command script for the Server 2003 Admin pack:
Created the .cmd files suggested from the MS KB article. No effect.

I've taken just about every suggestion I can take from the net on how to fix
this problem and have come up short every time. I am about ready to create a
support incident with MS, but hate to spend $59 when the problem is with the
core OS admin functions and I haven't messed with any third party software or
snap-ins that would have messed with this. I am also reluctant to reinstall
Vista after spending so much time getting my system stable and running
optimally with the exception of this problem. Without being able to view the
event log, I do not know if I have impending problems with my system. I
consider the problem pretty serious. Is there anyone from Microsoft who can
help?