Login process has failed to create the security options dialog

Old June 23rd 07, 12:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Chris

Default Login process has failed to create the security options dialog

Running Vista Ultimate
The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I cannot
right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not produce
anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog
Titled:
Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
With a dialog message of:
Failure - Security Options

I have seen that others have had similar happen but have not seen any
solutions or causes posted.
Anyone here know how to deal with this?

TIA,
Chris

Old June 24th 07, 05:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
---

Old June 24th 07, 06:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Chris

I have Symantec Security Client installed.
I run the 64bit version at work and have not had any problems with it. The
problem machine is a 32bit.
If I get the thing to boot again I'll uninstall Symantec and see what
happens.
Thanks,
Chris

Old July 15th 07, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Chris

"Chris" wrote:

Running Vista Ultimate
The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I
cannot
right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not
produce
anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog
Titled:
Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
With a dialog message of:
Failure - Security Options

I have seen that others have had similar happen but have not seen any
solutions or causes posted.
Anyone here know how to deal with this?

TIA,
Chris

I found the problem and it was not due to Symantec Antivirus.
I ran the Western Digital Diagnostics and it revealed that the S.M.A.R.T
data had errors in it..
I didn't look into exactly what the problem was but replaced the drive.
I haven't had a problem since and I've been using it for several weeks now.
The original problem was repeatable in several installations. For whatever
reason, the problem with the drive did not cause problems with Windows XP
but did cause problems with Vista.
A new C drive and life is good.

Chris

Old October 4th 08, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Phatkow[_2_]

I had the same problem with a Dell Studio 1535 with Vista Premium Home
edition.

Here is my story:
::Symptoms: Regardless of users actions; (1) opening or using an
application or (2) if the system sits idle, after approximately 1 to 4
minutes the system will become ::
Unresponsive and any windows that were currently opened will have “Not
Responding” across the menu bar. The mouse pointer icon will get the
whirling load icon, although the mouse “may” (not always the case),
continue to move, any attempt to open Task Manager to shutdown processes
or log off end in failure due to non-responsiveness. At this point the
mouse will generally stop functioning as well.

From this point, one of two things may happen:
::::
:1) The machine will freeze in its current state or (2) The screen
will go black and display the following message:::
Error Box titled: Login process has failed to create the security
options dialog - with a dialog message of: Failure - Security Options

In either case, any normal standard attempt to shut down the machine
gracefully is not possible and a hard shut down is required to get the
machine to respond to user input.

Due to the non-graceful shut down, check disk will usually run
(although not all the time) and repair or fix any issues caused by the
shut down.
::::
::At this point, attempting to logon again only repeats the above
scenario above 100% of the time.::
::::
::Because of the short amount of time that the system is accessible for
user input, attempts to diagnose the problem using the windows vista
tools have met with limited and frustrating results.::
::::
::A Pre-boot System Assessment test shows an error:::
::TEST – Hard Drive – DST Short Test::
::Test Results: Fail::
::Error Code 2000-0142::
::::
::Error Window displays the following:::
::ERROR CODE: 0142.::
::Msg: Error Code 2000-0142::
::Msg: Hard Drive 1 Self Test Unsuccessful. Status: 79::
::::
::The HDD is a Western Digital (WDC WD3200BEVT-73ZCT1).::
::::
::Since the machine was only 6 weeks old, I contacted Dell. After
spending an hour and a half in chat working on the problem and at the
point where they had me attempt to restore to the Factory install, it
bombed out. The Dell rep said I had a bad HDD, I tried to resist it but
I had to type \"You Think?\" in the chat window. ::
::My research has indicated that this problem may be related to bad
Hard Drives. At least it seems that mine was. In any case they are
shipping me a new hard drive and hopefully that will resolve the issue.
I'll post back after the new HDD is installed and running for a bit.::
::::
::Hope this helps if you’re having the same issue.::
:: ::

--
Phatkow

Old October 4th 08, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Paul Montgumdrop[_2_]

Phatkow wrote:

snipped

What kind of nonsense is that, that someone would tell you that the
restore aborted and that you needed a new HD.

The restore has aborted on me a couple of times and it told me that it
aborted. The restore was at the end, and it had finished the restore
when it aborted. I went and a looked at the state of things to make sure
things were back the way it was after the restore.

At best, all you had to do was format/flatten the HD and reinstalled the
O/S, which the pre-install of the O/S from the manufacture may not have
been a good install.

If the HD was going bad, then you would have started getting error
messages in some form that would have lead you to thinking that you had
a HD problem I would think.
Old October 13th 08, 04:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Vinicio

I had the same situation...the technician "solved" the problem by suggesting
to send me a new HD and start anew. I run a diagnostics on the HD and found
that it was healthy. The Vista hanging problem I had was originated by a
conflict with other software. I unistalled all programs, including Office,
and installed them again to find the culprit. When I installed Outlook 2007,
the problems begun again. So I think I have the culprit.

Old October 2nd 09, 11:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
GKB[_2_]

I've had the same problem; screen freezes, comes back slowly, freezes
again, taking forever to do anything, recovering with control:alt:del
and finally an error message saying "Login process has failed to create
the security options dialog".
Days later, and after lots of aggravation, I got a blue screen of
death and that gave the game away.
It turns out that Vista was trying its best with a faulty power supply
that was shorting across a damaged lead.
I took off the shorting connector and all's well, Vista is back
perfectly.

I thought it would be easy to tell whether a problem is hardware or
software, but it's not

--
GKB