Nvidia Network Controller

Old June 24th 07, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rutetuti

Default Nvidia Network Controller

Hi,
I have an ASUS A8N-SLI MB with an onboard Nvidia Network controller. The
upgrade to Vista (clean install) has not been exactly smooth but it seems to
be working OK now and I think I have all the latest drivers.
However, in about 1 out of 5 occasions when I boot up I have no network
connection. I have a 3Com wireless ADSL router and the PC is hard wired
with a fixed IP address. When I check the network properties it has dropped
the gateway, 192.168.1.1, the entry is blank. If I try to insert this again
it seems to accept it but when I look at the properties again it is still
blank. All the others details are there OK. If I reboot it usually comes
back but it can take two or even three reboots to work and then it is fine
again for a few more days.

My system runs Vista Business, AMD dual processor, 2 x SATA drives, 2GB
memory. I would stick in a network card but I have used all my available
slots.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old June 25th 07, 05:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Rutetuti,

The address 192.168.1.1 seems to be the default gateway. In that case, just
set your Properties to obtain address automatically. See whether that works.
If not, then perhaps something else can be worked out. In addition, this
may not be a Vista issue, but rather settings involved with your Internet
connections.
---
freddy

Old June 25th 07, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carlos

Hi:
I have read in many places that not all existing Routers get along fine with
Vista, on account of a different implementation of an existing protocol or
the existence of a new one.
Check your router manufacturer site for a firmware upgrade or the faq section.
You might also try unchecking the IPv6 protocol in your network properties
and see if that fixes your problems.
Carlos

Old June 25th 07, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rutetuti

Freddy,

I think it is a Vista issue, it seems to me that it is the OS that "forgets"
the gateway settings. I don't see how it can be drivers or router related.
I thought about using DHCP but this seems to be quite a fundamental problem
that I thought I would try this forum for a solution.
Thanks

Old June 25th 07, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rutetuti

Thanks Carlos,

I have unticked IPv6 protocol and I will see if that makes any difference
over the next few days.

Old June 25th 07, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Rutetuti,

Nowhere did I say your problem is "drivers or router related." I said, "this
may not be a Vista issue, but rather settings involved with your Internet
connections." Changing settings in the Properties of your Local Area
Connection, such as unchecking TCP/IPv6, is a setting involved with your
Internet connections. Changing those, and any other settings involved with
Internet connections, is not a Vista issue. It's a configuration issue.
Anyway, I was only making a suggestion, to try obtaining address
automatically, but I suppose it means nothing.

--
freddy

Old June 25th 07, 10:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

192.168.1.1 is the IP address of the router itself.
When your network is working go to run and run ipconfig /all you will
find all of your current settings.
I suggest that you change from fixed IP to DHCP and let the router set your
IP and DNS addresses that way the DNS addresses will be the latest that the
router gets from the DSL modem.